front wheel bearings

Started by WZ JUNK, June 24, 2018, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am thinking I might change out the wheel bearings on the 54 Chevy with 1978 Mustang ll hubs.  The current ones are noisy and I do not like them that way.  This is the third set for the car.   I have been looking on the net for information on the bearings.  There are very few that are still made in the US.  My choice has always been Timken but I do think they are US made.  National seems to be US made and they are sold by Advanced Auto Parts.  Their closest store is about 50 miles from me just across the state line in Northern Arkansas.  

I could use a little feed back on bearings and where to buy them.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

If it's of value, Advance has mail order sales.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I have had no trouble with NAPA premium bearings They are made by Schaeffler Group, Efaygee Bearing in Joplin Mo. I have also used SKF and NSK. Timken bearings are made all over the world in more than 30 countries, and have been for nearly 100 years. I still trust the brand.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Most manufactures use similar numbers for these bearings.   National has two options for the inner bearings an A 13  and  A 5.  What is the difference?  

I can get National bearings at the local Oreillys

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

The set 5 is the inner bearing, the set 13 is the outer bearing. Sets are a cup and cone together rather than the individual parts.

WZ JUNK

Here is the page from Oreillys that I am referring to with the two different inner bearings that I am trying to sort out.  https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/tire---wheel-16779/wheel-bearings---seals-16502/72224bc6df64/1978/ford/mustang-ii?q=Wheel+Bearings+&+Seals=undefined&fitAttr_10039=Front

I am tired and it is not making sense to me.  I can not trust the guys behind the counter at these stores.  I have to go in the door with part numbers in my hand.

Thanks

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

According to two catalogs, Napa and CR, the Mustang uses  set 5 and set 13.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"According to two catalogs, Napa and CR, the Mustang uses  set 5 and set 13.

Thanks Frank, I appreciate you looking them up for me.  I may tackle that job next.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have had no trouble with NAPA premium bearings They are made by Schaeffler Group, Efaygee Bearing in Joplin Mo. I have also used SKF and NSK. Timken bearings are made all over the world in more than 30 countries, and have been for nearly 100 years. I still trust the brand.

My "wheel bearing eating" 4wd van. Retail the bearings are $100-$400. EACH. The NAPA premiums are about $400..the Timken's that same. Online bearings are $50-($200 for the Timken's.) I seriously balked at the NAPA dealers prices :roll:  He then VERY QUIETLY :shock: offered me some "white box" bearings. For about $100. Said they were made by VBR and were the best bearings money can buy. They were only offered with a 90 day warranty..but he says the store will cover them for 6 months..NAPA..he said he had never seen one fail..and if it did to just bring it back.

We will certainly see just how long they last :lol:

When I discussed this with my very busy local garage that does tons of wheel bearing jobs! He said the best bearings are those dirt cheap China pos..WHEN :!: the company first starts up. AFTER a gazillion sales and positive feedbacks..the quality control tap is turned OFF. They then reap huge profits when selling just absolute garbage..until that game is over. Change company name and start again.

river1

when you purchase your bearings, buy an extra set. pack them and then seal them in plastic with a "seal the meal" vacuum sealer. toss them in a corner of the car. if the typical rule applies, the part you carry won't fail  :lol:  if it does fail you have a fresh packed set  :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John there is dimensions under details on this page from Summit.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/wheel-bearings/make/ford/model/mustang-ii

This is very helpful.  It gave the years these bearing were used and the models.  This information confirms what Frank has stated.  Basically the two fit all models.

Jim, if I buy the extra bearings and keep them with me in the car, I will forget that I have them and buy more.  I have not figured out how to out think myself on this problem.  Growing old requires a lot of adapting and tricks.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Ohio Blue Tip

I'm with you John, I've stacks of parts that I bought twice because the old mind lags behind.
:oops:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken