Started by Carnut, June 02, 2018, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Carnut

My lifelong friend Roger Mingle/t-vickey

$12000
1,500 Miles
Automatic Transmission
This is a 26 Ford barn find hot rod that has been sitting in my barn for 10 years. It has a 302 ford motor, auto trans, ford 9 inch rear 2:73 Has not ran for 5 years & with my health it is not going too. Has tilt steering, mustang seats, Ect.

Carnut

Starbirds Wichita 1972

L to R

Me, Roger Mingle/t-vicky and the Late Jonny Pate, Charlottes Hubby

My Coupe

Roger Mingle's/t-vicky Coupe

Jonny Pate's Coupe

kb426

TEAM SMART

chris spokes

he who has the most toys wins

Carnut

Back in the day

Heh, heh, the little kid hiding behind the tire on the left is my nephew Troy Pate who now owns my coupe and this is what he did to it.

Carnut

Ok, now for National Selfie Day

Proof that I once worked on cars.

Noticed a mention of apprehension of attending NSRA events in a post 48 vehicle, I feel the same. Heh, heh, back when I sold my 31 Model A, I felt like I was no longer a hot rodder and after I sold my 40 recently I don't feel much like a street rodder anymore.

But since I have a lifetime membership in NSRA I guess I may suck it up and drive my Chrysler or Dodge Charger to an event some day.

Don't think I'll be around when my PT Cruiser becomes eligible.

Oh, I didn't intend for this thread to just be about me posting selfies.

kb426

George, I have enjoyed the trip to the past. Your bunch had some good hotrods. Not all of us want anyone to see our past. LOL This might proof comical. A year ago, I really wanted to take the 51 to Pueblo but I wasn't finished enough to be happy. I've put over 6,000 miles on it and now I'm aware that the 32 doesn't get driven long distances as much. I still enjoy it but it's a hot rod. The 51 is a cadillac in comparison. I will roll over 28,000 on the 32 before I get home. There's not really any good logic involved, except for the year. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I also enjoy the old pics, and wasn't born until QuadraJets were out but I would love to own a 1930s anything with clear title and two doors. Can you guys explain the difference between hot rods and street rods? I presume NSRA used to be pre-48? Should I feel like a clod for being happy about the 60 I fixed doing good there? I don't know any better because I've never hung out with any kind of rodders 'cept y'all. When it comes to anything cars, change seems to be the only constant. Don't mean we gotta like it. Seems we must tolerate it to survive.
Matt

idrivejunk

If a young one asked me today I would tell them pre WWII is hot rod, 46-50 is street rod, and anything from there until 1979 would be street machine. I'd like to have my info straight from the actual dudes who rod / rodded so I can pass it along straight. Spill it or I'll post a selfie that will break your monitor. :)
Matt

Carnut

Heh, heh, used to be 'Real Hot Rods Don't Have Fenders' and street rods were everything else modified/personalized pre 49.

Then 'Leadsleds' were kinda special kustoms, chopped, sectioned modified usually 'Mercs'.

Street Machines then were post 48 rides up to the 60's Muscle Cars.

Tri-Five Chevies were 55-57 and usually considered to be street machines.

A lot of this is just a simplification of personal thinking on my part.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Carnut"Heh, heh, used to be 'Real Hot Rods Don't Have Fenders' and street rods were everything else modified/personalized pre 49.

Then 'Leadsleds' were kinda special kustoms, chopped, sectioned modified usually 'Mercs'.

Street Machines then were post 48 rides up to the 60's Muscle Cars.

Tri-Five Chevies were 55-57 and usually considered to be street machines.

A lot of this is just a simplification of personal thinking on my part.

That makes more sense... the difference between hot and street rod.  

If it were me making up the words, I believe I would call prewar and 45-up rods, 55-up machines, 65-up Muscle, 75-up Smog. Although in my mind "modified for increased top speed" makes anything a person's hot rod if they want to call it that. By that definition, I am a not rodder because I lean toward drags which are not speed but acceleration contests. I also enjoy spewing the idea that muscle cars are only full framed intermediates equipped with the largest displacement from the full size line, and that pony cars are not body-on-frame designs.

Have pickups always been grouped by the same rodding terms as cars? I think they have.

What justifies the use of K on the front of kustom? Flake? Roth and VonDutch type influence?
Matt

river1

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Spill it or I'll post a selfie that will break your monitor. :)

i've been needing a new monitor  :roll:  ~:)  :)S(
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

Ok, a little more of my drivel on Hot Rodding.

There is the subgroup of 'Fat Fender' which are essentially everything 1935 and on.

Humm, now Hot Rods kinda came about from dry lakes racing in SoCal and eventually evolved into Drag Racing.

Hot Rods were the essence of Drag Racing from the start.

Ya know Wally Parks was an accomplished automobile writer and hobbyist, and co-founder and first editor of the magazine Hot Rod in the late 1940s. He was the founder, president, and chairman of the National Hot Rod Association, better known as NHRA.

Notice the Hot Rod in the orgs title?

Hot Rod is the oldest magazine devoted to hot rodding having been published since January 1948.  Robert E. Petersen founded the magazine and his Petersen Publishing Company was the original publisher. The first editor of Hot Rod was Wally Parks, who went on to found the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA).

Even one of the original logos for NHRA has a fenderless Hot Rod Roadster in it.

Ehh, on the Muscle car thing, all Mopar Muscle cars were unit body with no frame. Pretty sure the Muscle referred to the power to weight more than frame structure

Pony cars don't have so much to do with construction techniques as much as with the 'style' of a Mustang which the market is named for. Cars companies built to compete with the so successful Mustang.

Now NSRA 48 cutoff did have a problem with trucks. Chevy started the AD series in 47 which qualified but the AD continued after 48 until early 55 so a controversy a bit there, as well as the Ford coming out with it's F1 in 48 and then continuing the series thru 52, again a problem for the 48 cutoff.

Other than Ford 40/41 pickups trucks were just trucks, until Fords 53 to 56 series which qualified as cool trucks to most Hot Rodders. Chevy cool trucks were from 55 to 59. Fords also were cool 57 to 60. After that trucks just became trucks again.

Now Kustoms are modified cars from the 1930s to the early 1960s, done in the customizing styles of that time period. The usage of a "K" for "Kustom" rather than a "C", is believed to have originated with George Barris.

History lesson concluded for today

chimp koose

Or the 48 Anglia which remained virtually un changed until it stopped in 59 as a popular.