Air bag clock spring

Started by 348tripower, December 22, 2017, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Soooo,
This 2010 Silverado that only had body damage is back from the frame shop. :shock:  I am assembling the front end on this and found the horns not to be working. The fuse was missing under the hood so I replaced it. Now the windshield washers work great when I blow the horn :lol:
Clock Spring?  I cant seem to find any info on what all the clock spring controls.
Don Colliau

idrivejunk

No tech info here, sorry. Was there a deployment? My experience stops short of that model year but if anything is not right with the clockspring, my experience says you'll have an SRS light. When bags blow sometimes the clockspring or wiring is burnt a little so there is a possibility of melted insulation  and the combo switch is right there. If you do suspect the spring because work was done in the area, it might be a good idea to pull the drivers bag and check for proper installation (no pinched wires, no broken retaining stud on the horn wire at the bag, etc.

Washer when horn is blown doesn't sound familiar but that trouble could also be under the hood. The fuse out means the customer might say "Oh yeah, I know it does that. Ever since I put my stereo in so I pulled the fuse.". The frame shop will say "Huh? No we didn't mess with that." of course. If you are serious about horn button squirting the windshield, get down where both those components are located and look for prior damage / repair. Its probably all got unique connectors to avoid plugging in wrong but maybe one broke, or maybe a chop from a wreck was spliced out near that end of the harness and not checked for function.
Matt

idrivejunk

Can I rephrase that now, AFTER eating breakfast? Reader's Digest version is this: I think wiring got yanked on by something, down by the horns and washer tank. It either has wire damage or incorrect repair on that branch of the harness. Does anything happen when you hit the washer switch? The horn would be on a relay but probably not the washer. I am useless at wiring troubleshooting but hopefully looking at the horn and washer area carefully will reveal something obvious. Odds are thats where the problem lies. Could have had a previous wreck where the bumper end was smashed back into that area.
Matt

kb426

Don, to my feeble knowledge, the clock spring runs everything above the steering wheels hub. If you have cruise, horn, radio etc. on the steering wheel, it can all be affected with the spring. Is there a chance that the contacts on the steering wheel are bent from impact causing it to miss the intended contact? If all the wiper and washer switches are in the multifunction switch that is below the hub, I think you might check wiring in the column to see if it's smashed. Or, how about someone has the horn wire connected to the wiper circuit? Has there been questionable work done so you'll have to start from scratch on the column? I agree with Matt that the wiring going to the washer sounds suspect.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Don, to my feeble knowledge, the clock spring runs everything above the steering wheels hub. If you have cruise, horn, radio etc. on the steering wheel, it can all be affected with the spring. Is there a chance that the contacts on the steering wheel are bent from impact causing it to miss the intended contact? If all the wiper and washer switches are in the multifunction switch that is below the hub, I think you might check wiring in the column to see if it's smashed. Or, how about someone has the horn wire connected to the wiper circuit? Has there been questionable work done so you'll have to start from scratch on the column? I agree with Matt that the wiring going to the washer sounds suspect.

This above  applies ,

As I understand it. Clock spring wire is for controls on the steering wheel it's self.

I have a squeak in the steering column of my 2006 GM truck as I turn the wheel  during the colder times of the year here..  at least it started that way.  Now it squeaks quite often.

I have read online on how the clock spring can cause noise during the turns of the steering wheel.  The amount I hear the noise is also regulated if I have my hearing aids on.  If I dont hear the noise, must be OK , Right?

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)