Do you think this is the wave of the future?

Started by enjenjo, December 01, 2017, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have been following this build for a while now, and I think it may be what is needed to bring in the younger guys. Watch it, and tell me what you think.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Watched the first video just now....will take some time this evening to look at the balance.  What ever will draw the younger guys away from their phones, games, etc. to approach learning the skills to actually do hands on labor will be the key. One can talk a blue streak, do photo shop stuff, blah, blah, blah, but in the end one needs to get personal with the parts.

Sorta, don't tell what you're gonna do...show me what you've done. That, at least, is what's going on in these videos. I don't care what they do it on, just do it. There has always been room in the car hobby for all comers. I appreciate a ton of stuff that may not appeal to my sense of looks right or looks wrong.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I watched some of each video.  Interesting idea.

Too much talking and not enough doing  for me in 7 videos.  Music could be left out of the videos too.

See what happens in another year.  Even at that, he moves at faster pace than I do
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

I agree with Charlie ..^^^  BUT..  What this guy is doing, is SOO far advanced from what "normal" young people could possibly do or afford..... :shock:

Perhaps back up one owner & show what it took to get the car to the stage that he bought it ... :idea:
MUCH-MUCH more "obtainable" to a younger guy & still advanced enough to keep the interest in the project & see the rewards that will be realized .. 8)

The basics will be learned ....THEN..The next project provides more learning & skills ...And so on...And so on... :idea:

Isn't that kinda what we did  :?:

OH...And maybe NOT a Mustang as a starter car ....Didn't KB prove that awhile back  :?:  :oops:  :oops:

Just my 0.02.....Oops  :!:  Now I'm broke.. :?

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

I found the host laborious to watch, but I have not watched TV in years. I am not sure if you are asking about the type of build or type of presentation. I think it is a mistake to lead young ones in an automotive customization direction because it doesn't apply to THEIR future. Car technology is currently over-ripe. Trying to "bring in" people of any age seems less effective than setting an example and ignoring onlookers until one steps forward to get involved. To me. But I am a quarter century too old to have valid opinions from a young person's view and a quarter century too young to have valid opinions among them who call themselves rodders. Best thing humankind can do right now is not to wallow in vestiges of a decadent road based past but to push with all our might to find new land. Air and space rodding's time has come. The build might be cool though. I watched as many bits and pieces as I could stand to but what it comes down to is this.... I don't trust anyone wearing a mint condition ball cap.
Matt

enjenjo

I am not a big fan of his presentation, but I do admire his skills. And, I did learn some techniques I didn't know.

My point was that they should be thinking out of the box. Just think, if that was an 82 or older it would be eligible for the nationals.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Maybe I should turn the sound down and keep a lookout for the fab parts. Needing to soak up all that I can stand. I did like the creativity aspect of where its headed, but just don't know if the amount of skill development required prior to being able to play would come across to young 'uns or not. I only interact with about a half dozen people though. :roll:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am not a big fan of his presentation, but I do admire his skills. And, I did learn some techniques I didn't know.

My point was that they should be thinking out of the box. Just think, if that was an 82 or older it would be eligible for the nationals.

Yes.  I agree with you.  My answer was a bit short and incomplete.

For modify of later vehicles, even what he is doing.  Where does this fall in to with emissions testing and required equipment on the power train?

I've heard comments on emissions  when a later vehicle is heavily modded.

The number of states that test evap systems on fuel systems & related bits is unknown to me.  I would think more states come online with more testing of vehicles.

Lot of work to keep the systems all in tact and operational.    Here in AZ... if the visual inspection shows a small plastic plug out of an air cleaner, the vehicle is failed.  That happened to me on an 80's Ford truck with a 460 engine.  I pointed out there was a 4 inch opening at the end of the air cleaner snorkel about 14 inches from the hole where the plug fell out.

Failed visual inspection, the truck passed the tail pipe sniff.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I agree with what Bob said. My 1st car was about an engine swap. Later on, I was able to swap cams, exhaust and intakes. What I have seen in the last decade is that nothing is out of limits. Doesn't matter if it's beat to pieces, rusted beyond believe or just so much work you're amazed. The doers just get to it. No financial or time sense at all. Time is not of much consequence. :) Is it safe to say that the real modders will always be in the minority?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

I was only able to watch the first video and 2 min of the second so far. It looks like he is going to build a rat rod.
Open wheel, open engine.  Not sure if I want that to be the future of what is at the car show..... I already have a neighbor running around with a corvette without any panels on it.

I don't think the skill level has anything to do with the age I think it is all about what we  can get the next generation to like. My nephew loves Vickie's Torino, and likes my hot rod. His brother doesn't care about cars at all, so I will be bringing only one of them to the shows as they grow up.

As for the work being done in the video, only a few of us in our age group can do what he is doing and only a few of us would think that is a cool idea.
Can't please the masses no matter what you do.

On a side note I thought that was going to be KB when I saw the Mustang.  :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.