B&M Hydro Question

Started by Dingus, September 27, 2004, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingus

I have a friend that is building a 41 Studebaker as a 60's gasser. He has a 55 Chevy 4-sp hydro and would like to modify the fluid coupling for more stall. I had one that was modified way back by bending the vanes but I don't remember witch way. Anybody good on these things or have any lit. from B&M from the 60's? Thanks

rumrumm

This may be a dumb question but has anyone tried contacting B&M?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "rumrumm"This may be a dumb question but has anyone tried contacting B&M?

They haven't built them in 30 years, and nobody there knows anything about them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "rumrumm"This may be a dumb question but has anyone tried contacting B&M?

They haven't built them in 30 years, and nobody there knows anything about them.

true, they don't know about clutch-hydro automatics either.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

Boy you're asking for a long ago look back. I used a B&M modified coupling on a my stick hydro once. I believe it was a 2800 stall and the fins weren't bent but were cut out in the center top of each. I was not happy with the workmanship as it looked like they just attached it to a lathe and cut out a 3/4" deep by 3" wide section from each blade. They left the edge of each blade, on one side, rough after the cut and I had to grind each smooth. Along with the rough cut they also brazed each fin to the coupling back side. The brazing was supposed to hold the fins vertically ridged and prevent the fins from bending over and flattening out.
Anyway I just thought I'd mention that mine were not bent but tool cut out and that was circa 1961.....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...