54 Chevrolet frame

Started by mrloboy, November 01, 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

A friend of mine starting building a 50 Canadian Pontiac using front and rear suspension from Chassis Engineering. The frame is the same as a 50 Chevy. He has the Chassis complete and it looks great. He then had the opportunity to buy a mint 54 Chev sedan. Question is, will the 54 body bolt to the 50 frame? Or what alterations are needed to adapt it. I looked in my Hollander interchange and they show different frame numbers for the two. I always thought they were the same! If all else fails, I guess we remove the kits from the 50 frame and transplant them on the 54 frame.

idrivejunk

I was looking at aftermarket frames for later years and noticed that 49-54 frames are available. So although its a guess because I am unfamiliar with that year span, I would say chances are good that the 54 body can fit on the 50 frame. Again, it's just a guess but here is what I saw-

https://www.artmorrison.com/49-54chev.php
Matt

mrloboy

It sure looks like we can make it work. Thanks for the link! Rick

enjenjo

The Hollander numbers will be different if a bracket changed, or the bumper mounting holes are different or any thing similar to that. As far as I know the basic frame is the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

crdnblu

Hollander Numbers; all these years of working on cars, & I'd never heard of them.  Googled the term, & now I understand!  Thanks for educating me.......

mrloboy

i have two Hollander Manuals. One is an original covering 1948 and down. The second is a reprint I purchased from Dragich that covers up to 1956. With a yard with hundreds of vintage cars, they sure have been useful over the years! I have sold many of my cars, but the manuals aren't going anywhere! 😃

enjenjo

If you have one of the old ones they have a section that will tell you things like a 50 frame will fit in a 54 car if you take bracket A off the 54 frame and install it on the 50 frame. The reprints don't have that section. By the way, I just made that example up. :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

Yes, my original manual has the notes, but none under these frame listings that I could find. It is a nice option. Usually to do with mounting hole placement. I've run in to variations between US and Canadian built cars. Not much mentioned about that though. 😊 Rick