Crosley, maybe this isn't before your time

Started by GPster, September 27, 2004, 07:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

1953 Chevy cast iron powerglide. Which way does the fluid flow through the cooler or which line from the transmission flows out and after it comes from the cooler where does it go? I've put an after-market cooler on the thing so if I pumped oil into the line back from the cooler it might displace any water that might have gotten in there without rotating the parts. I don't want to make anything in the transmission bad when I rotate the engine with the starter motor. I siphoned the water out of the transmission last night and got about 2 quarts ( I may be going to a lot of stupid trouble but I'm trying to separate the water from the oil,kerosine,transmission fluid so that the lubricants can be properly disposed of). Or another dumb idea should I put an airline on the cooler return line and use air pressure to blow everything out while I rotate the engine with the starter. My guestions may appear dumb but sometimes I look at the number of people that look at my questions and the lack of response to them my being dumb must be an established fact. GPster

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "GPster"My guestions may appear dumb but sometimes I look at the number of people that look at my questions and the lack of response to them my being dumb must be an established fact. GPster

I don't think that is the case, Joe!

It appears you always put a lot of thought into your questions, before asking them.  

If anything, your questions are usually detailed, and require SPECIFIC knowledge which many of us do not possess.  ...So who's dumb, now?   :lol:

While I read all of your posts, very rarely do I have an answer to your questions.  ....In the few instances that I may have been able to help, someone else had already typed my thoughts, so I saw no reason to duplicate them.    

When I can not find answers to my questions, I follow my best judgement.  ...NO, I'm not always right, but I'm right until proven wrong!  :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

Quote from: "GPster"My guestions may appear dumb but sometimes I look at the number of people that look at my questions and the lack of response to them my being dumb must be an established fact. GPster
The fact that we look shows we're interested.  The fact that we don't answer, shows we're dumber than you are. :wink:

Since you're making a claim thru your insurance anyway, I'd see about adding the tranny and engine drying/cleaning to the list.  They'll probably even pay to have someone come out and take the transmission out.  If water got in there, probably grains of sand or dirt did too.  Not good in a tranny.  The valve body and pump are cast iron and might rust pretty quick.  My mom flooded her basement and I was surprised at how much stuff was taken care of.  She didn't have to lift a finger.

Your tranny and engine are in a car and hard to get to...right?  If you do nothing else, I'd pull the pan and drain everything out of it before I rotated it.    I'd probably pull the valve body off and clean it and dry it too.   If you're careful to lay all the valve body parts out in a way you can remember how they go back in, I'd disassemble it.  The pump might have water in it and should be cleaned...you never know.  I don't know what to tell you about the clutches, bands and other internal parts.  Maybe blow it off good and just having it opened up would let it dry good enough.  I don't think I'd blow high pressure air into either of the lines tho.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about automatic trannys.    My answer is just based on common sense....of which I have little. :|
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Joe,

Water displaces oil in the tranny.  Everything must come apart to get the water out correctly

We had a guy ship a tranny back to us for repair. Due to the shipping company talking about oil leaking from the tranny and EPA issues... the guy took the tranny pan off and "washed" out the tranny with degreaser & water.

The tranny was starting to rust up when i disassembled for inspection.  PLUS it voided any warranty he had at that point.

As for your concerns of dumb questions..... I can only say "ditto' to what Bruce and George said.  If I have no advice or suggestion I make no comment
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

My appoligies for the infurance, I'm so busy trying to get stuff done I had just kept typing and didn't even read it before I sent it. OR you guys are all in competion with Purple Pick Up for the title of "Chaplin" I siphoned all the oil out of the sump and I think I'll do the same with both lines to the trans cooler then I'll pull the pan. One of my ideas is that any water that got into the internals would have gotten there through the filter and that may have stopped the junk and for water backing up the return path of the fluid it might have been stopped by the fluid that was trapped in the gallorys. From ideas that I've gathered from you guys there will be no air pressure and no flush. My understanding of "Flood Insurance" is this everything should be moved out. The contents aren't insured because you should have moved them. The structure is what is insured and we have a thousand dollar deductable on it. I don't have the strength to argue with anyone that might say "if it's valuable why didn't you move it? it's on wheels". I've already talked myself into one depressing typing spell, I'd better stop. GPster

GPster

And once again the latest. Because this thing was under construction when I removed the trans cooler to put in an oiled cooled one I also removed the steel linesand let it all drip into a pan. When I put the rubber hose fittings at the back of the tranny for the new cooler I just let the fluid run out to the level of the fittings and buttoned it up empty and didn't add any fluid and it hasn't been run since I did it. Pulled the cooler and lines off today, they where still empty and dry. When I let the lower hose hang down it siphoned some oil out. Not much. There was no water in it. Now when you think it will be easy to drain the pan, change the filter and clean up the exposed components quess what, there is no pan. This transmission is 360 degrees of cast iron and as far as I see in my Motor Manual there is no filter either. When I pulled the plug to finish draining it I just got a little bit of clear water. Must have done a good job of siphoning it empty through the dipstick tube. I think I'm just going to turn thr motor over with the starter while the trans is empty and with the plugs and lines open. Maybe no faster and longer than it wil be turning there will be enough residue transmission fluid to provide some lubrication. And the hottub still has enough water in the electrics to kick the "ground-fault" breaker and the furnace wouldn't light because of condensation in the gas line. I wonder if I can get F.E.M.A. to pay for my new dandy 5 hp, 2600 P,S.I. pressure washer? GPster