Uglier Olds...

Started by UGLY OLDS, July 12, 2017, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Geez, Bob. I thought you said you wrecked your car. I get that much body damage in the parking lots!

When I had my 41 Poncho, I was looking for rear fenders, as mine was a fastback, and the driver couldn't see the right rear. I did find two NOS in St. Louis for $400 for the pair. That was a good deal for me. I had found one earlier, but didn't realize that there were different size Pontiacs; the one was for the smaller car.

Good luck getting your car back on the road, Bob.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"I found this one Bob   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Oldsmobile-NOS-left-rear-fender-1940-1942-1939-/381808846677?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

The right one looks repairable to me, but I am not there.

Thank You for looking Frank .. I checked it ....That's for a "90" series car , (The big one on the Cadillac series body), you can tell by the gas filler door ....Mine has an exposed filler neck & cap ...( I have the "cheap" 60 series car like a Chevy) ... :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Fortunately, I think there is enough time in the estimate to repair both rear fenders ...They seem to have taken the biggest hit ....All four fenders & the running boards got some damage but the rears are the worst .....
Both bumpers & bumper irons are bent ...The rear of the body under the deck lid is rolled under on the left side ...
The good news is that they were good thick, rust free fenders when we built the car ,so they should take some "beating" to put back in shape ....  The boards can be straightened, (again, you should have seen what we did to make then straight the first time ...  Lets just say a sledgehammer was involved ... :idea:  :oops: ) ...

The front control arms really moved around but did NOT break.....A true testament on how Heidt's built that stuff back then....
:b-d:
Very little in the front suspension is straight ....... :roll:  All the parts you see that are curved.....Are not supposed to be .... :shock:  :oops:  :roll:

Bob.... :wink:

Can you imagine the outcome if your car cast had aluminum suspension like new cars? Love steel. Sure is good to hear of your satisfactory collision repair process.  :D
Matt

jaybee

Wow, what a mess! The car really absorbed some forces for you. She's a good one and took care of you all the way to stop. Nothing is more important than being OK when it's all done, but it's going to be a good thing when Ugly Olds is better than new.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

We are making progress .....We completed replacing the bent suspension parts, looked the frame over REAL good , found a bent front frame horn ... It still needs to go on the frame table to be measured ... :idea:  We were able to repair & re-position the front crossmember back where it belongs... This makes the front sheet metal fit better.. 8)

Looking back, altho it doesn't show that much on the outside, the car did take a heck of a wack when it landed.... :roll:

How else could we get grass & dirt in places we never knew existed  :oops:  ( Like INSIDE the front crossmember tubing  :?: )

The lower control arms were not only bent in a "U" shape, they were both bent to the front... :shock:  ( Tubes were twisted)...

I'm just thankful the car was built with the Heidt's parts ...I don't know if imports would have held up as well..... :roll:

Cathy & I are just thankful for MANY things...

The car didn't roll.....We landed going backwards, (putting us further into the big cushy seats rather than into the dash ), the tire tread did not rip off the gas tank filler neck, the list goes on....

We are still trying to make K-Zoo & the Nats Northeast trip...

Bob...  :wink:

lofat46

Bob,
Ran into your North Shore "posse" in Louisville.  Your body man seems pretty confident the Olds will be in Kzoo.  I was glad to hear that.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "lofat46"Bob,
Ran into your North Shore "posse" in Louisville.  Your body man seems pretty confident the Olds will be in Kzoo.  I was glad to hear that.

We're hoping so Tony .... :D   We still have all the plans made to continue on from K-Zoo through Canada to the North East Nats the following weekend .... 8)    We have the suspension pretty well completed , the car will be trailered for an alignment tomorrow night ... After that it's on to the body shop ... Hopefully , the only thing left on the bottom for them to complete is a bent frame horn ....

Bob.... :wink:

Old Blue

Maybe in all this you can find the time to change the color.
That shade of blue did much to contribute to the ugly factor.   :lol:

UGLY OLDS

Actually, it will be re-painted complete in the exact same color .... :oops:   But this time they have talked me into using some kind of special spiffy "Two-Stage" paint with clear & shiny & all that stuff ....  :shock:  They say that my favorite acrylic enamel "Centari" is no longer available ...In fact they tell me that Dupont is not around anymore ...  :roll:   I guess that I really need to get out more .....
Too bad we cannot complete it in time for K-Zoo & beyond ... :(   We will still be going as a "spec-tater".......The first time in 20 some years we will be there without a car .... :cry:

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Actually, it will be re-painted complete in the exact same color .... :oops:   But this time they have talked me into using some kind of special spiffy "Two-Stage" paint with clear & shiny & all that stuff ....  :shock:  They say that my favorite acrylic enamel "Centari" is no longer available ...In fact they tell me that Dupont is not around anymore ...  :roll:   I guess that I really need to get out more .....
Too bad we cannot complete it in time for K-Zoo & beyond ... :(   We will still be going as a "spec-tater".......The first time in 20 some years we will be there without a car .... :cry:

Bob, I painted my Yeoman with Centari in the early 90's. I painted a lot of VW's with that and really liked it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Bob, where are all your friends when you need to borrow a rod? :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

You'd probably rather be a spec tater than thrash to finish the fix. I like blue, and the old colors done in new base / clear formulas will usually knock your socks off, man. Beats going into pocket for jamb labor.
Matt

chimp koose

Bob , I must be out of the loop with auto finishes as well . Last thing I painted was centauri acrylic enamel . Also did not know that DuPont was gone , they were a sponsor on my dragster . I will paint my T with a single stage product if they are still available when that time comes . I want to be able to fix road rash easily like in the good old days .

ragdol

Dupont was bought out by Axalta about a year ago. Nothing much changed but the label. Last I checked Centari was still available.

Old Blue

I'm in the process of painting my 26 RPU using BASF RM Uno HD Single stage acrylic urethane in Washington blue and Wimbledon white.

Very nice paint.