Uglier Olds...

Started by UGLY OLDS, July 12, 2017, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Wow, glad you weren't injured. That had to be a pucker moment!

Carnut

Rrumbler

Scary business, that.  Glad you're not hurt, hope you can salvage the car.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

papastoyss

Glad you & the Mrs. are ok. I had a comprehensive claim w/ Grundy a few months back, couldn't be happier w/ their handling of it. Nothing compared w/your accident, we hit a crow at 75mph, did some paint & cowl damage, actually bent the cowl at the base of the windshield on a '40 Ford.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

348tripower

Gee Bob I,m glad you two are ok and I hope you can save the ugly one.
Don Colliau

Bruce Dorsi

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap, Bob, but I'm glad it wasn't worse!

While you were playing demo derby  :roll: , we were up in northern NY, gathering info for the trip you had planned in September.

Are you still planning to go, either with, or without, the Olds, or has this unfortunate incident caused you to abort your plans?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Old Blue

Glad to hear that you are OK. I remember well, and still have the magazine with the article on putting that Heidts universal MII front end in.

I always liked that car and I hope you will be able to resurrect it.

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

UGLY OLDS

Well ..As promised ..Some photos .....Our insurance company is  American National..Otherwise known as "Chrome" ....I cannot say enough good things about the way that they have handled our claim ...Everything started with a trip to our regular family Doctor for a verification that we both were OK ....He advised that Cathy was in great shape & that I was in as good of shape that could be expected for an "Aged & Infirmed" old guy .... :roll:  The best part ...NO CHARGE  :shock: ..When I asked for a bill to process to the insurance people, he advised, "why waste their money??  We have done nothing but discuss it & you both seem fine....."  8)
When I advised the adjuster, she about went nuts & said that they want to work with more doctors like him ...

An adjuster came to the house promptly & inspected the car ....He provided an estimate on what he could see & put an notation that the complete undercarriage was considered an "open", and would be inspected at a later date ... :idea:
We received a check 2 days later to get the repairs in motion & decided that we would replace the bent chassis parts ourselves as we could find no one in the area to complete ALL the repairs to our satisfaction....

We did a thorough inspection of the bottom & provided a supplement to the adjuster with verifiable pricing & it was approved with another check in the mail one day after he received it .....The biggest concern of everyone we talked to at American Modern was that we were ok & how could they help to get our car repaired as quickly as possible ....VERY-VERY nice people to work with .....They are still considering the repair claim open at this time in case further issues are found ...

I can post a few photos ..You guys can see the damage...The car will go to the body shop as soon as we repair the bottom ...It will go on their frame machine to verify that the frame has not been compromised ....

All in all...After reviewing everything,God was watching over us as this could MUCH-MUCH worse ....

Hopefully , we will see everyone at the Zoo...... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

You said American National and American Modern. I'm guessing you meant American National. :) Does anybody sell rear fenders???? You don't need to bring that to me. You would be comparing me to those other people that weren't good enough. :) I hope this goes rapidly and well for you.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"You said American National and American Modern. I'm guessing you meant American National. :) Does anybody sell rear fenders???? You don't need to bring that to me. You would be comparing me to those other people that weren't good enough. :) I hope this goes rapidly and well for you.

Oops ... :oops:   American National...AKA " Chrome" .....

No fenders are available ..I found some rears on ebay for $350.00 each...You can actually see through them ..The seller advises " Some rust repair required" .. :shock:  :?  :?

How soon do you want them   :?:    Watch for the brown truck to deliver a BIG ,( the fronts are 6'++ long), box .... :lol:  :lol:

Attached below is the culprit.... :evil:

Bob.. :wink:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Are chevy and olds fenders the same?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Are chevy and olds fenders the same?

Yes, and no. Will one fit where the other one was? Yes. Are they the same? No. Olds fenders are wider, wheel opening is slightly different, and have a fuel fill door on the left side.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

You guys are hunting fenders? Hunt a real bodyman who would enjoy the fixing.  :wink:  :idea:

Bob I still think the graceful landing was pure instinctive skill, and that your old car is way tougher than one might think. The underneath looks like it had a decently soft landing but most of the thump was that right rear of the body. Nice save if you ask me. Glad folks have been helpful for you so you can relax and count blessings.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Fortunately, I think there is enough time in the estimate to repair both rear fenders ...They seem to have taken the biggest hit ....All four fenders & the running boards got some damage but the rears are the worst .....
Both bumpers & bumper irons are bent ...The rear of the body under the deck lid is rolled under on the left side ...
The good news is that they were good thick, rust free fenders when we built the car ,so they should take some "beating" to put back in shape ....  The boards can be straightened, (again, you should have seen what we did to make then straight the first time ...  Lets just say a sledgehammer was involved ... :idea:  :oops: ) ...

The front control arms really moved around but did NOT break.....A true testament on how Heidt's built that stuff back then....
:b-d:
Very little in the front suspension is straight ....... :roll:  All the parts you see that are curved.....Are not supposed to be .... :shock:  :oops:  :roll:

Bob.... :wink: