insulation

Started by trackster, June 26, 2017, 09:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Finally going to insulate the firewall and floor in the A pickup.  Any suggestions on which is best as far as heat and sound protection?   Hard to tell from the ads.   Daynamat, Boom mat, etc.    Probably purchasing at G.G. Columbus for installation before the trip to Louisville.   More concerned with the heat than the sound.  The wind noise and rattles and squeaks I can tolerate.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.  They are much appreciated.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

WZ JUNK

I have been using the Peel and Seal that I buy at Lowes.  Looks like the Dynamat product but it is a lot cheaper.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-Instant-Waterproof-Repairs-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

There is some similar stuff on ebay that is even cheaper but I have not tried it to see if it compares.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

John ...Will that stay attached to the underside of a roof ??  Also ...Does it have any "asphalt" smell after it sits in the sun for awhile ??  

Thanks ..

Bob .. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"John ...Will that stay attached to the underside of a roof ??  Also ...Does it have any "asphalt" smell after it sits in the sun for awhile ??  

Thanks ..

I used it on the underside of my roof on the 54 Chevy.  No problems so far.  I did tape the edges and adjoining pieces to help spread out the load but that is probably not necessary.  No odors.  I have heard this complaint about some products.

You might buy one roll and test it, if you are in doubt.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"John ...Will that stay attached to the underside of a roof ??  Also ...Does it have any "asphalt" smell after it sits in the sun for awhile ??  

Thanks ..

I used it on the underside of my roof on the 54 Chevy.  No problems so far.  I did tape the edges and adjoining pieces to help spread out the load but that is probably not necessary.  No odors.  I have heard this complaint about some products.

You might buy one roll and test it, if you are in doubt.

John

Good idea ...I will pick up a roll...

Thanks ..
Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Trackster, I don't claim to know everything but I have fought heat issues on the 32 since completion. It has a layer of ceramic insulation, a layer of ram audio mat which I believe to be better than peel and stick. 2 layers of low e insulation. This is sold by low buc insulation who is on the HAMB. The low e is the most effective with heat management. On my 51, I have 1 layer of thermotec which is comparable to ram audio and 2 layers of low e. It is way better than the 32. While in Pueblo this weekend, I discussed this situation with a well respected builder of many rods. He led me to believe that   model a's and 32's will suffer from this period. I have to drive hundreds of miles to get to most shows. When it's above 80 degrees out, you want the best that you can find. I haven't tried dynamat but I know some of the members have.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

What about that lizard skin ? There is a recipe for making it somewhere on this site . I had always wondered if instead of using exterior latex like the recipe calls for , a guy would use a thermal barrier paint like por15 makes . That peel and stick sounds good but I wonder if it will still stick to the roof when it gets really cold out and the materials shrink at different rates . I will likely use some Roxul insulation in my car . It is fire proof , will not absorb water , has a higher insulation value than fiberglass and you can cut and shape it with an electric carving knife . It is the insulation used in some performance mufflers , and I have used it in motorcycle pipes to calm them down .

papastoyss

My '40 coupe has home made lizzard skin concocted w/ glass micro balls sourced from Wicks aircraft supply using Killz brand primer as a carry agent. The car is quiet enough my wife can tell me how to drive in a normal voice, no shouting! I also like the closed cell foam insulation that has foil on both sides, it holds the heat down better than anything else I've tried. I usually find the foam at swaps, don't know of a retail source.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Interesting information.  I may need some insulation if I continue moving forward on my 1962 Falcon.  Putting it on the street full time.  Drag race days are over for it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

x2 on lobucrod.com. I did some testing a few years ago using B-Quiet, lizard skin, and EZ Cool. In my opinion after testing with a hand held infrared thermometer sensor the EZ Cool was best at heat control. I am sure I have posted here previously but it has been awhile. If I can find the post I will re-post it. My current projects get Lizard Skin for sealing and sound control with a layer of EZ Cool over it.

kb426

Just in case anybody wants to know, that insulation is marketed under Low E brand. They have some info on their website to document it's effectiveness.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"Just in case anybody wants to know, that insulation is marketed under Low E brand. They have some info on their website to document it's effectiveness.
Several yrs back I did a "home brew" test using a folding painter's stand and a portable electric heater, I sat the heater on a box next to the stand & hung a wall thermometer on the opposite side. I then hung a piece of the foil/ bubble wrap between the two & took a reading after 5 min. , then hung a section of the compressed fiber-rag stuff w/foil on one side & took a reading after 5 min., then repeated w/ the closed cell foam/ foil stuff. The closed cell foam/foil read 10 degrees cooler than the other two.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Crosley.In.AZ

Decided to give this Peel n Seal  stuff a try on my 1962 Falcon.  Kinda thin.  Maybe a few layers?

May add some to the wife's 2013 Civic.  See if road noise is reduced
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteDecided to give this Peel n Seal stuff a try on my 1962 Falcon. Kinda thin. Maybe a few layers?

I would not go over two layers. And make sure you use a roller of some kind to stick it down good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.