speed week

Started by chimp koose, May 24, 2017, 01:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Just confirmed that I am going to be on an A fuel roadster crew at Bonneville this August . I spent some time on a BB/FC crew with this guy in early 90s . Also going to be in on a belly tanker build . I will be getting a rule book soon so I can hopefully get up to speed on the proper goings on so as not to be a tourist with a pit pass but rather a helpful member of a team . Maybe I can meet up with an RRT member or two while we are there .

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "chimp koose"Just confirmed that I am going to be on an A fuel roadster crew at Bonneville this August . I spent some time on a BB/FC crew with this guy in early 90s . Also going to be in on a belly tanker build . I will be getting a rule book soon so I can hopefully get up to speed on the proper goings on so as not to be a tourist with a pit pass but rather a helpful member of a team . Maybe I can meet up with an RRT member or two while we are there .

Bonneville has been a life experience for me.  It brought together my interest in innovation, hot rods, and great people.  I hope you enjoy your time on the salt.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

Thanks ,John , it still has not quite settled in that I am actually going . I consider Bonneville to be one of the last bastions of amateur motorsport . Accomplishments on the salt are rewarded by personal satisfaction and the respect of peers , rather than big dollar sponsorship deals .

kb426

CK, I'm sure you know this but there are no creature comforts unless you provide them. If you can't tan, bring lots of sunblock and long sleeve shirts. If you will be out there after sunset, have gallons of insect repellent and last and maybe most important: don't do anything to damage salt, period. I believe you might have a few stories upon returning. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

That is one of the things that was on my bucket list. And thanks to Hooley and John I got to do it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I was out on the salt last summer while on vacation however we were there the week before speed week on a Monday . Not much out there for creature comforts that's for sure !Yes this is a bucket list activity for sure but I wonder if it might turn into my latest obsession . I really like the opportunity for creative engineering .

kb426

Bonneville is an exercise in patience that I don't have. My deceased travel partner tried to get me to commit one night after it had rained and ruined the course. He had been part of my crew with the dragster so he was aware that I was an asphalt racer. I explained to him that waiting a year to run and then have it rained out even before you get there was not something I could handle well. :) The last time I was there was 1992. There was a lot more salt then.  :cry: To be committed to a goal and take years just to get a chance to achieve it is why the salt and I don't have a love affair. :) I could build a car for someone and they could tell me how it worked when they got to run it. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

John kinda summed it up for me. The people , innovation , ideas on how to go fast ...  Just a great place to visit and watch.

I will not be there in 2017.  We were there for  the cancelations in previous years.

Would be nice if the gubermint got their collective heads out into the sunshine & fix the salt. they know how. They will not do it or even attempt
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

bucketmouth

I've been there a few times and been real lucky with the weather no rain or washouts just fine hot racing weather. To me Bonneville is the Holy Grail in hotrodding.
I love it wish I could go every year.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.