Bellhousing mfg choices?

Started by Beck, March 17, 2017, 12:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I am trying to select a bellhousing for my little project. Originally I was going to use a stock GM bellhousing. Others have convinced me that that may not be a safe thing to do.

I really like the aluminum McLeod 8533, but dislike the price of $775.
I have been looking on Ebay and found a Tilton and Quartermaster with throw out bearings for $375 to $395 with shipping. Both of these are magnesium. I don't know if they are any more "blowproof" than the stock GM part.

To be SFI rated they need to have a motor plate. That will not work in my motor. The flywheel is directly in line with the back plane of my motor. If the McLeod had the back plate it would have the SFI rating. Neither the Tilton or Quartermaster has the SFI ratings.

Steel is out due to the weight.

I looked a little for a bellhousing blanket without any success. I wonder how may layers of kelvar or nylon are in those? The material is sold by the yard. It could be a sewing project.

Beck

I ordered a used TIlton magnesium bellhousing and throw out bearing from e-bay today. Hope it works for me.

I have a blanket here that I believe was for an automatic, but is quite wide. The length is right for a bellhousing. I test fit it on a GM bellhousing. It doesn't want to pull tight on the transmission side. I am still thinking about buying some kelvar and ballistic nylon for a DIY bellhousing blanket. I wonder if an upholstery shop could sew through that? If not a shoe repair shop?  A call to one of the safety shops may be the easiest.