1969 Chevelle body repairs

Started by idrivejunk, November 18, 2016, 09:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Kinda like watching one of those custom car guy shows only this one shows how real quality work gets done.

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Thanky, men.  :)

KB you hit the nail on the head twice in one lick there, what a pro. That one new guy who started mudding the decklid was in a little over his head and had to do the realistic thing... car lot repairs, at home for $$$ and lower expectations. I digress, he was subjected to a big initial challenge, finishing bodywork on a whole '34 sedan. Glad we had him for that. Newest guy seems pretty sharp but drives WAY too far to get there.

Fellow bodyman that broke his leg in a bike wreck (we have decided to call him "Foot loose" as a new nickname upon his return)   :lol:   goes in to have surgery to remove the two rods sticking out of his shin since October. I'd sure like having him back because theres plenty of work lined up.

Other nail hit is yeah... its just neat to observe the goings-on and doing so gives the readers a feel for timeframes and real world solutions that occur. That is experience, in a way, that can guide folks in current situations even if they have mastered all areas of their own hot rod. This Chevelle is a fine example of the process but I have had no focus to spare for a blow-by-blow show. The funnest part for me at work is sharing ideas and finding methods that everyone agrees on. Like that 33 rocker installation technique!

I enjoy metal work to the degree that a non-fanatical repair man can, but asking the question "How am I going to do this?" and the process that follows is even more pleasurable with an internet full of examples to view and brains to pick. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Got a couple shots of the right quarter patchwork today. Patching rust at the lip of the outer wheelhouse was a booger he said, but it looks like this went alright.

Matt

idrivejunk

Almost forgot to say... It will be black with the stock style stripe painted on the sides in a darkish red. Wheels will probably be stock SS style and size, and he caved in and ordered a complete Moser 12 bolt with 3.42s to go behind the 4 speed.
Matt

idrivejunk

Steady progress on the ole SS396 here, just a few pics. Alas, there has been another crew change. The bodyman who had taken over and done most of the filler work found work closer to his home. He was doing fine work but driving way too far for it. Anyway, now the painter has it and is moving right along. I think the bolt on parts are all in primer now, and the body shell is close to ready.

More pics, less yap...

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Neat pic's Matt ....   8)       A couple of questions ..... :?

A...On the '34, is there a little "whoopsie" in the rear gap on the right door, (just above the belt line), or is that wide space needed due to the suicide hinge setup  :?:  :?:

B...  On the Chevelle window openings, where are the little "triangle thingies" that show where the molding clips go  :?:  :?:
 ( Like on the Camaro we did awhile back)....

Just lookin'....

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Neat pic's Matt ....   8)       A couple of questions ..... :?

A...On the '34, is there a little "whoopsie" in the rear gap on the right door, (just above the belt line), or is that wide space needed due to the suicide hinge setup  :?:  :?:

B...  On the Chevelle window openings, where are the little "triangle thingies" that show where the molding clips go  :?:  :?:
 ( Like on the Camaro we did awhile back)....

Just lookin'....

Bob... :wink:

The 33 has some dark red paint showing at that spot in the rear gap, its optical. The pic isn't very revealing. I'll take more for a better look. I had to beat my new rocker down a little to widen the gap at the bottom, too. So its still in progress, a little. Once I prime it again, the gaps will be much more obvious and I'll show them good.

The "stud goes here" triangles are present on the Chevelle although probably not many survived the metal work around the rear window. I do have one pic of the bare windshield area where they can be seen. I'll snap another shot showing those.

Thanks fer lookin and talkin :!:    :)  8)
Matt

idrivejunk

Round 2 of polyester primer. There were a bunch of sand-thrus and that left sail panel was a challenge to sculpt satisfactorily so it needed this. When this is all blocked out, final urethane primer will be applied then lightly blocked. Looks good from here so far!

Matt

416Ford

Looks great, you make it look easy and I can not even get a drywall screw hole smooth.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

I haven't done much drywall if any, but enough to know thats a little more tricky than it looks, too.  :wink:

The man working the Chevelle has plenty of enthusiasm. He final-primed it with urethane primer. I heard it has some sags in that but didn't go look. The second application of polyester primer appears to have blocked out nicely here, but in the last pic you can see a little re-work going on after mocking up the window molding. I think the plan is probably to spray the bottom then set it back on the chassis. Oh yeah, the chassis! Forgot all about that and don't know whats going on with that part  :oops:

Matt

idrivejunk

Saw some activity on the ole SS396. We needed the dolly it was on, so out came the old chassis I was wondeing about. I am out of the loop on this job now but it appears to have been untouched so far. It will make a fine dolly for topside paint work  8)

Matt