My little custom steering wheel project.

Started by Carnut, October 17, 2016, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Heh, heh, I'm sure you all are just dying to see a PT Cruiser project. Well anyway here goes like it or not.

First I bought a used wheel, with cruise switch and vanity cover still installed, off ebay.

Then friend tvicky helped out with the mod work.

Then cut away everything that doesn't look like a wheel adaptor.

Then layout and drill 3 holes for studs to hold custom wheel.

Used wood as a spacer so that modified vanity cover and cruise control could be used.

Cut away unneeded portion of vanity cover.

Modified vanity cover to be used.

Create and install a vanity top cover.

Check custom steering wheel install.

Create horn ring spacers from brake line tubing.

Check horn ring install

Now ready to install on car.

Carnut

Now install custom wheel on the car.

Remove Airbag and Steering wheel. To keep airbag light off a 2ohm 1/2-1/4 watt resistor needs to be soldered between the two airbag wires and then the wire stowed away under the adaptor.

Bolt the adaptor to the column with the factory bolt.

Hook up the cruise control wire.

Bolt on the wheel with nuts and tubing spacers for horn mechanism. hook up the horn wire to the horn ring and then install spring and snap on horn button.

WhaaLaa! New custom steering wheel and with working horn, cruise and turn signal canceling

Heh,heh, please don't kibbutz the steering wheel too much, in my mind it's really just a mockup/interim wheel until I find the custom wheel that I really like.

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

nzsimon

Am I the only one that thinks disconnecting an air bag and installing a wheel that will kill you in a smash is a bad idea ?  It would be illegal here
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

idrivejunk

Quote from: "nzsimon"Am I the only one that thinks disconnecting an air bag and installing a wheel that will kill you in a smash is a bad idea ?  It would be illegal here
Probably is and it might be. Steering wheels don't cause many deaths when the seat belt is in use, but airbags cause scores of unnecessary injuries by deploying in situations when they are not needed. Or wanted. I asked my ins man about deactivating airbags. He said shut up and unplug them if that's how you want to roll. Ask me why I do.
Matt

kb426

nzsimon, I don't believe that wheel will hurt anybody. All newer vehicles have collapsible  steering columns. That was what I perceived to be the biggest danger to the driver. The after market wheels have way less structure that most factory wheels.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "nzsimon"Am I the only one that thinks disconnecting an air bag and installing a wheel that will kill you in a smash is a bad idea ?  It would be illegal here
Probably is and it might be. Steering wheels don't cause many deaths when the seat belt is in use, but airbags cause scores of unnecessary injuries by deploying in situations when they are not needed. Or wanted. I asked my ins man about deactivating airbags. He said shut up and unplug them if that's how you want to roll. Ask me why I do.
Personally I wouldn't want to expose myself to that much liability. Personal injury blood sucker, "Mr. Carnut, why did you remove that airbag &then disable the warning light so that no one would know what you did?"
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Carnut

Oh gee, I've been a outlaw, scofflaw and neer do well most all my life.

I've actually driven cars without seat belts. ridden motorcycles without a helmet, even exceeded the speed limit a time or two.

I'm open to a whole lot more liability than an airbag delete.

Heck on this car, I've defeated the ABS so I can run big n little tires,

Run an exhaust system without a muffler.

Oh and the down pipe without a cat, I'm ruining everyones environment.

Sorry.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Carnut"Oh gee, I've been a outlaw, scofflaw and neer do well most all my life.

I've actually driven cars without seat belts. ridden motorcycles without a helmet, even exceeded the speed limit a time or two.

I'm open to a whole lot more liability than an airbag delete.

Heck on this car, I've defeated the ABS so I can run big n little tires,

Run an exhaust system without a muffler.

Oh and the down pipe without a cat, I'm ruining everyones environment.

Sorry.

Good for you.  There still is a little rebel in you.  Next thing you know you will be running with scissors.

John  :lol:
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Or drinking from the hose. SIR fuse out and one ABS connector unplugged, dash lights blazing is how I roll. I learned the hard way.
Matt

chimp koose

My 65 merc has no seatbelts or airbags ,.......but its had a windbag in it a time or two !

Carnut

Just decided to recover the steering wheel in my Conv instead of putting in a new one.

Got a great deal off ebay for a new leather cover. Leather is good and it came with 2 needles and enough thread to do the 'baseball' stitching to sew it on. Can't beat $10.78 and free shipping. Sorry it is from China.

New Premium Black Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover 38cm 15" | eBay

The bumps you see at 3 locations on the wheel are from the previous cover on the wheel and not the new cover. Just put the new cover over the old one which kinda gave the wheel a bit more 'heft'. Did pretty much wear out my fingers for awhile, but it was nice to do it myself.