Saginaw steering box rebuild / 98GMC k1500

Started by rooster, September 28, 2016, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Having problems finding parts, have found seal kits but no bearing for the case. AZ has complete kits for the older sagiinaw boxs but not for the newer one. anyone run into this?

enjenjo

The bearings can be bought from some of the bearing houses. The one I use was called Detroit Ball bearing but the name has changed, and I don't remember the new name. Watch the Oring on the piston, and the end cap, they both cut real easy. Check the balls, they are two different sizes, and used to adjust the clearances. Count the two sizes and devise them up evenly. Install multiples of the small balls between the big balls. Two to one or three to one, whatever comes out even.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

I re-ordered the kit from AZ #8522 to check the bearing size, I know the kit is not for my truck but i think most of it will work, the input shaft is different seal. That can be ordered separate. I have been following this guy on utube.    
t=1144.019533

rooster

The bearings that come in that kit #8522 do fit, a little different in design, the best I can figure is that there are just a few pieces that are different, the seals on the input shaft from the steering  column. replacement bearing for pitman shaft "BH-2020 koyo usa"  Cleaning has begun. The one on the left is the new one.