Retired folks: Vacation or no?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 22, 2016, 11:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A friend of mine retired about 8 yrs ago. He sold his bizness, and was finished working.

Each summer he & his wife  wife  take a "vacation" in his words.  3 month vacation.

I say : It's not a vacation, you do not work.  At best it is a long RV road trip.

Does it matter if it is called a vacation? Or is it a game of words?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Whats retirement :?: :lol:

Call it a trip :idea:
Matt

WZ JUNK

Retirement has been my full time job for 15 years.  I have worked part time during those years and I built and worked on a lot of hot rods.  For the most though I have not worked a real job.  As we age we find that time is more valuable than money, once you have enough money to live comfortably.  Amazing more money for the sake of playing the game never appealed to me.  Too many of my friends have died with their pockets full and dreams of doing things "someday".

Next month my wife and I will visit Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks.  When we reach Yosemite will have visited all the National Parks on the continental United States.  That's  a lot of traveling.  We have seen some amazing sites.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

With walking becoming more of an issue , "vacation" is kind of a relative term..  :?
I'm not ready for the hassles of "owning" a scooter, but most "vacation spots" require too much walking ...  :roll:  
After all the house repairs are completed , the Model A is at least a roller , we will prolly investigate some kind of "vacation things" ..  

I suggested a cruise to Mrs. Ugly ..Maybe I could tie my inner tube to the back of the boat  :?:  :idea:  :lol:  8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

hey cros, my "retirement" ain't been no "vacation"...:(

I know '"weekends" don't mean much anymore....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Rrumbler

21 years since the Doc put me out on disability, which led to early retirement.  Mrs. Rr got run over by an electric wheelchair the same day the Doc put me out, and she threw in the towel six months later.  A month after she moved up to the mountains to join me, she had a heart attack, but once she got over that, we had it pretty good for a few years, sort of like a permanent vacation; we went and did as we pleased, and enjoyed it a lot.  Eventually, though, the disability stuff started catching up with us both, and in just a few years, we had slowed to a crawl.  No more vacation, too many Doctors appointments, not to mention mobility hampering ailments and others that are much more disturbing.  Nowadays, it's just a mundane, quiet day to day, for the most part.  I miss the activities that we used to enjoy so much, but sometimes I am just happy to be on the green side of the lawn.

As far as Tony's original post, I consider a vacation to be a trip that takes you away from your normal activities, like work.  If you are like me, you don't take vacations, you just do something different for a while.  When I was working, I took vacations; after I retired, I just did something different for a day or twenty.

Does that all make any sense?
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

UGLY OLDS

All of a sudden ....My troubles aren't that great..... :)  

Bob... :wink:

Rrumbler

I need to apologize to you all for that post I made the other day.  I did not intend to throw cold water on what should have been a lighthearted discussion; that is not my style.  If I could, I would delete the post, and I promise to try to watch letting my blabber fingers get out of hand in the future.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

idrivejunk

If you can't let things like that out among friends once in awhile, you need new ones! Sometimes the "today" thread reads like a hospital report. Life ain't no party. I do hope we can all remember how to play though. I'm about to turn 50 and there's a little room to play (couple days off) but I haven't left this 20 mile radius in many years except for a funeral.

What's out there?
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Not to worry Rrumbler..  I sometimes get to feelin' bad about my limitations & need to be reminded that maybe I don't have it soo bad ..... :oops:

idrivejunk is right ... Friends is what makes it better for everybody   :!:

Besides ...we Superheros need to stick together .... 8)  :shock:  :lol:

He mentioned turning 50 soon .... :?   What's a "50"  :?:  :?:  I can't seem to remember "50"  :roll:  :?  :lol:   Is that something special like 21 or 65 or Medicare  :?:  :?:

Bob.. :wink:

kb426

My wife describes me as "spry". I don't know if she meant I'm old or agile. :) I'm not looking forward to retirement. To me it will be 1 more stage of life. I've found the current stage to be way better than I could have imagined.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "Rrumbler"I need to apologize to you all for that post I made the other day.  I did not intend to throw cold water on what should have been a lighthearted discussion; that is not my style.  If I could, I would delete the post, and I promise to try to watch letting my blabber fingers get out of hand in the future.

Thank you for sharing. Apology  not needed. Or expected..or even wanted
  You keep this up and apologies will be EXPECTED for some of my posts :lol:
  "Retirement" Isn't that what happens when you have/had a great job!/career..quit..drunk and in debt..take your pension in  cash and drink that too :lol:  :twisted:
   Disability..my heart goes out to the disabled :cry:
   Years ago I spent 20 hrs a day in bed unable to weight bear..for 42 out of 48 months..NO that time I was NOT drunk :lol:
   I was TOLD I was disabled..and the medical people etc would sign all the papers. I refused to accept it and somehow..somehow..ended up ok now.

My life has been pretty good and pretty easy compared to yours and others..

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't care what it's called but U use it to burn all those extra Saturdays in some weeks.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

39deluxe

I only have 6 months in this retirement thing but nearly every day feels like it did when I would go on vacation and usually spend it at home.  When I go to AZ I just call it visiting family.

Tom

phat46

I have been "retired" for about eight years, at least from the day to day routine, just work for myself now. My wife retired two months ago, we don't take vacations now, but we have been on several long drives, up to 800 miles each way! 😄