Painting the bottom of a trailer

Started by WZ JUNK, May 12, 2016, 09:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Hooley has bought a new race car trailer.  He wants to coat the bottom of it with a bedliner material.  He thinks it will keep the salt from destroying the trailer.  We are trying to brainstorm ideas on how to do this without laying on our backs and spraying the material.  It would be best to tilt the trailer on one end or the other, or rotate it on its side.  Keep in mind the solution must be safe, fast, and cheap.  (Our motto)  

Can any of you come up with an idea ?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Apply with a roller instead?  :idea:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Do you know anyone in the area with a large "A" frame, ( think BIG swing set ) , or a small crane ??  We used to pick them up by the tongue & stand them vertically on the rear crossmember & prep & paint the bottom as needed ...    :idea:
 Sherwin Williams "Polane" ... Nasty stuff but just about bulletproof ... :D

Bob..  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

John, my first thought is a 2 post lift. What little exp. I have with Bonneville is it's almost impossible to beat the salt. When I was out there in 92, I noticed all the regulars had a rig just for the salt. They kept it dependable but knew that they would succumb to the powers of corrosion. If you stand the trailer on end, who's going to stand on the ladder to spray the thing? I'm sure you guys will come up with a solution, I'm curious to see if the bedliner can be applied adequately to accomplish the goal. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"John, my first thought is a 2 post lift. What little exp. I have with Bonneville is it's almost impossible to beat the salt. When I was out there in 92, I noticed all the regulars had a rig just for the salt. They kept it dependable but knew that they would succumb to the powers of corrosion.
QuoteIf you stand the trailer on end, who's going to stand on the ladder to spray the thing?
I'm sure you guys will come up with a solution, I'm curious to see if the bedliner can be applied adequately to accomplish the goal. :)

That's why you lift from the tongue end ....Get the tongue 8' off the ground , the front 10' of the bottom is accessible while standing under it... Another 4' of lift & more area becomes accessible.. Another lift, more area to paint....When that area is complete, stand it straight up & paint from the axles back......

OR.....Stand it straight up & start from the back ...lower it more & paint some more working toward the front ....When you finish painting at the front, lower the coupler onto a jackstand or ???, paint the rear crossmember , clean up your mess ...CLEAN THE GUN  !!  ( Don't ask  :oops: )  , let the trailer sit overnight ....DONE.. :idea:  

It worked great for us ..... :D

Bob... :wink:

chimp koose

drive one side up on a curb and send the Keebler elves under therewith rollers!

river1

Quote from: "chimp koose"drive one side up on a curb and send the Keebler elves under therewith rollers!

Bob K?
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

sirstude

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "chimp koose"drive one side up on a curb and send the Keebler elves under therewith rollers!

Bob K?

He's not an elf, he's a knome, just ask him.

How about lifting from the side instead of the end?  Only about 8 feet high then.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

HEY....  ^^^^^   Put that guy on the upcoming transfer to Management List ... :idea:

He using his noodle  ...... :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Got a big tree handy, throw a chain & chain hoist up  & pick it up enough to access the bottom. Some of the  best work is done under a tree!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!