Fat cat's trailer

Started by enjenjo, May 01, 2016, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

He needed a trailer for his soda business, very heavy duty, but not that large. We built the frame from 2x4 tubing, with 2x3 crossmembers. It has two 3500 lb axles, one of which I built using a spindle kit. The sides are framed with 1x2 14ga tubing, with a 2x2 tube door opening. I built the doors out of recycled tubing and angle iron, and scratch built the hinges  like semi hinges, but scaled down.  The floor is treated 5/4 pine, painted all over, and all seams caulked. The sides are .040 matt black aluminum riveted into place with 3/16 closed end rivets. The roof bows are 1x1 aluminum, we had to shorten them about 18" for this trailer, and fabricate mounting brackets, all TIG welded. The front door is a motor home door we picked up at Bontrangers Surplus, along with the roof bows, and the wheels and tires. The roof will be 1/8" Kemlite in one piece. We finished up the sides today, still have to skin the rear doors, and install them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I had to research Kemlite. Will it bend around the roof bows? What are you using for suspension on the axles?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I had to research Kemlite. Will it bend around the roof bows? What are you using for suspension on the axles?

Yeas, it will, down to about a 6" radius. It's a four spring suspension with a center equalizer.

Bruce Dorsi

Does the interior get skinned with anything on the 1x2's ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Does the interior get skinned with anything on the 1x2's ?

It gets 1" of pink insulation, and 1/4" plywood liner.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"1/4" plywood liner.
Pop rivets or drill screws? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"1/4" plywood liner.
Pop rivets or drill screws? GPster

I think we will use large head self drilling screws

purplepickup

Looks really good. You guys do nice work.

Are you going to wire it for interior lighting and such?
George

enjenjo

Quote from: "purplepickup"Looks really good. You guys do nice work.

Are you going to wire it for interior lighting and such?

Yes. All the tail lights and markers are LED. We are putting a battery in it connected to LEDs in the interior.

kb426

Can you put 5000 lbs of pop in there?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

That looks good and sturdy  8)  Should make a real nice pop hauler with the anti-fizz suspension and all  :T)
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Can you put 5000 lbs of pop in there?

Yes.

enjenjo

We moved the trailer outside today so we could fit the roof. To get it out the door we had to remove the suspension, and the roof bows, and roll it out on car skates. :D  We have it under a tent now, and are putting the roof on.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteTo get it out the door we had to remove the suspension, and the roof bows, and roll it out on car skates.

Don't worry Frank ...Rumor has it that Henry Ford started out that way too... But he had to tear the door down...:roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Geez, Frank! I thought I was the only person that made work difficult. Looks good. :)
TEAM SMART