2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

18 gauge staple gun , air powered.  Again , no brand loyalty. This Metabo brand gun works well. I've used 1 inch and 1.5 staples in it. It just keeps working well.  Watch the depth settings and air pressure on this one too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Harbor Freight Bauer brand belt sander.  I needed a belt sander for door edges.  Only 2 hinged doors on this park model trailer and they were poor fitment like everything else in this unit.  :lol:   :o

This sander works well. The dust bag actually works well too! First sanding, I left the dust bag off and had sawdust all over my levis... Installed the bag and waaaay better. the cheap a** wood of these doors turns to very fine powder as You sand , so the bag is very helpful
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Air compressor....  I needed one for my RV & truck tires as we traveled. So I bought a pancake unit from Home Depot.  Porter Cable brand.  All these pancake compressors seem the same. Noisey, oil less , noisey.  Reading the instructions with it, the life of the oil less compressor is estimated at 200 hours.

It airs up my tires as needed.  It runs the air tools I need at the rehab of the park model trailer.

Only slight glitch is the replacement RV we are purchasing does not have a generator on board.  May need to purchase a generator for that?
Tony

kb426

Tony, unless things have changed, it takes a lot of watts to start an air compressor. Not as much to run. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: kb426 on November 22, 2021, 11:02:31 AM
Tony, unless things have changed, it takes a lot of watts to start an air compressor. Not as much to run. :)

yes. good point. Compressor is rated at 10 amps...  should be 1200 watts.  I have been looking at small honda generators. I had thought 2200 watt gen would start and  power the pancake compressor?
Tony

Beck

Tony, I have been looking at the Champion generators. They are about half the price of the Honda. I have 2 friends with them and they are happy. I'm sure they aren't up to the Honda standard. The price at my local store is $550. On the other hand I have another friend with a Honda gen. It is sweet.

My intended purpose is to power lighting and small tools in my enclosed trailer, and in an emergency power essentials at home if there is a power outage. Most of my home is gas so it just needs to power the furnace blower, electronics on the stove, refrigerator and freezer. I do want an inverter style so it can power sensitive electronics.

kb426

I don't think 2200 watts will start it. About a month ago, I bought a generator for a house backup. I purchased a Wen 4500 watt surge, 3600 continuous. It looked a little better than a H.F. and was way less money. I gave $320 with shipping and a wheel kit. Now that I have it, I plan on the electricity to never go off for more than 10 minutes. :) That unit weighs 100 lbs. and takes up some space so it wouldn't be what I would want to hide in an rv.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

I have that Porter Cable air compressor for the cabin and my older Honda 2000W generator has no problem running the compressor. I've also got a 2300W Wen generator that runs it easily too.

Sams Club has a 2200W Westinghouse inverter generator right now for $319, free ship. Wen's website has a black friday sale for $385, free ship too. I think Champion, Wen, and Westinghouse are all about the same.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: purplepickup on November 24, 2021, 08:45:59 PM
I have that Porter Cable air compressor for the cabin and my older Honda 2000W generator has no problem running the compressor. I've also got a 2300W Wen generator that runs it easily too.

Sams Club has a 2200W Westinghouse inverter generator right now for $319, free ship. Wen's website has a black friday sale for $385, free ship too. I think Champion, Wen, and Westinghouse are all about the same.

Thanks for the info....     Opens up the group of gens I can look at.  I am not looking to power the whole RV..  Just power stuff if needed.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a Milwaukee 2850-22 impact driver with charger & 1 battery 2.0ah ...  Photo was stolen off Home Depot site.  The ol special deal , special price of $99.00 plus gubment add on

Works well so far.  I have a couple projects coming up to use this tool on.
Tony

50 F1

Tony I have the impact driver like that. It is a very good tool and real handy,
I bought the quick release sockets set that goes up to 9/16.
Works real good for small stuff. Lots of power for a smaller tool.

idrivejunk

I was given a new battery powered Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet. Something I don't need but will try to make use of in small doses eventually.
Matt