Pulling an engine

Started by 57larry, February 10, 2016, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

my buddy Fred, recently bought a 40 Ford coupe. it has a 283 and a turbo 350 tranny. he wants to pull the engine to replace it with a 350. he is taking just the hood off. I say to pull the engine with the tranny. he wants to pull just the engine keeping the tranny mounted in the car. which way would be better? thanks, Larry

Carnut

Dunno, what's best. I've done it both ways. I like to remove the hood and just pull the engine.

But I've also stuffed the engine w/trans back into it as well.

Course that was way back in the days when I had hair.

Okiedokie

If I had no need to pull the tranny, cleaning, painting, etc, I would just pull the motor myself. Did the 283 use side mounts? Should be easy in and out if so.

57larry

the 283 has side motor mounts. the wood toe boards and trans cover are bolt in, so leaving the tranny in the car should not be a problem. we'll probably pull next weekend when it's warmer

348tripower

I have pulled the both ways but I like to take the trans with the engine. Most times it easier.

I don't know how many of you get Street Rodder magazine. In the Fix'Ems section the show to make an engine hoist out of three inch pipe a few elbows and tee fittings. Oh they also have some chain to keep the legs from from spreading! I wouldn't trust that for two minutes. Threading that pipe greatly reduces the wall section and if it is not threaded straight it can really be thin on one side. I'm sure it's been done, that's why its in the magazine, but I wouldn't.  :shock: I saw a home made engine stand break in auto shop when I was 17 years old. Laid the front of that boys thigh wide open as it ran down the front of him. The auto shop teacher also taught welding.
Don Colliau

57larry

Fred's going to pull the engine & tranny together