Coil on plug

Started by enjenjo, December 27, 2015, 07:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I had to replace a coil on my Escape tonight. I used a coil that I took off of Shelby's car when I replaced the engine. It was one of the rear ones of course, so I had to remove the intake to get to it. It took about an hour.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

What year/engine, Frank?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"What year/engine, Frank?

2001 3.0 V6 Duratec

58 Yeoman

Thanks, Frank. We bought a 2012 in October, but it has the 4 cylinder. Just wondering what I may be running into in the future.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

348tripower

I have one of those that comes back quite often for a coil.  The other problem with some of the Escapes is the computer will fail and kill three of the six coils. I had the computer rebuilt and was advised that I needed to replace all the plugs and the coils or the warranty on the computer rebuild would be void. Seems to be a Ford thing with coil on plug. I have replaced a few 5.4 coils too.
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Taurus/Sable use the same engine, but it has a remote coil pack with three coils, and a wasted spark ignition.

GPster

I wonder if it's the same as the 3.0 L V6 in my 2003 Ranger? I only have looked under the hood to disconnect the battery long enough to reset the computer when the check engine light comes on when I over-fill the gas tank GPster.

wayne petty

one thing...

many of you know..  this is for the ones who don't know..

Dielectric tune up grease or Spark plug boot lube is wiped inside the spark plug boots but not on the metal connector inside.. this prevents high voltage from leaking out between the boot and the spark plug insulator..

if fords are blowing computers and the coils are at fault.. man i would be into the wiring diagrams and wiring views looking at ground paths..

i cannot count how many fords i have run into with poor ground connections... frayed ground connections.. ground connections from the engine to the firewall on the wrong fastener.. they go on the welded on studs.. not on the wiper stud where its on top of a washer holding a grommet..

this is the voltage drop test i live by..  i perform it on EVERY CAR i work on.

http://i.imgur.com/WMDprhm.jpg

many people and techs don't want to waste their time performing at least the first 5 of the six steps..  sometimes alternators are really hard to get at..

i am the crazy guy who takes the ground ring terminals off and wire brushes both sides of each and the stud then puts it all back together..

i have to explain also that when the spark is generated in the ignition coil.. it needs to make a complete circle.. how does it get back to the coil or to the ignition module.. thru the ground..  Coil on plug ignitions that have ground wires running in parallel in the wiring harness.. wow.. shielding please..

i have a friend with a 2004 3.0 he is pulling his hair out on now... milkshake oil motor... blown head gaskets failed water pump.. ... then the rear timing chain jumped on first start..  high voltage leaks from the coils.. its a night mare..  i would have pulled it and done it all.. but i am only walking by an open hood and glancing in..