Loosening Rusted Bolts

Started by rumrumm, July 09, 2015, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

The following was posted on another forum, and I am re-posting it for what it's worth.

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt. Average torque load to loosen nut:

No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than anycommercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price. ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid.
This version of the story was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

kb426

TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "rumrumm"The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than anycommercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results.

I have used this mixture and found it very effective on some rusted farm equipment fasteners.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

While we are on this subject, any one have a source for quality pump oil cans? Either the pump takes a dump, or it self siphons out all over the bench.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rrumbler

I have used some version of the ATF/acetone thing for a long time.  I salvaged a rusted up Winchester 94 rifle by soaking it in a bucket with acetone, ATF, Marvel's Mystery Oil, and diesel; let it soak for a couple of weeks, then started "working" it a bit every day and sticking it back in the bucket.  Unplugged and cleaned the barrel with the same stuff, and it is a shooter, now, pitted in a lot of places, but it works well and is surprisingly accurate for the condition it was in when I got my hands on it.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

58 Yeoman

Last weekend I was  working on my chipper/shredder that has four sets of three flails on the flywheel.  Two sets were stuck, one set would hardly move.  I was using PB on them and working them back and forth w/o much luck.  Then I remembered on another forum about the acetone/atf trick.  I soaked them overnight, and the next day they moved with very little effort.  I chipped a few small limbs, then soaked them again before putting the machine away.  Works for me.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

parklane

Been using that for several year, and as others say, it's the best stuff out there.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

ragdol

What do you keep it in? Or, do you mix as needed? I would think the acetone would evaporate making it less effective if kept in an oil can, or such.

wayne petty

i will have to try that trick..

i will probably have to wait till it rains again before anything rusts rather than dusts..

i wonder if the acetone will melt the nozzle on this.. since my metal tube oil pumps have all vanished over the years..

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-flexible-spout-oil-can-1113.html

parklane

I usually put mine in a spray type of container, like glass cleaner etc. Sometimes it will leak out the nozzle with the temp. change, but hasn't attacked the material.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

39deluxe

In my younger days we used to use acetone to remove paint from our plastic model cars when we wanted to change color. It didn't harm the plastic so I'd be surprised if it would harm that Harbor Freight pump oiler.  The mix is self-lubricating so the acetone shouldn't dry out the pump seal. The acetone shouldn't evaporate out of the oiler either.

I have six Stromberg 97s with frozen throttle shafts. It looks like these are the perfect place to try out this brew.

Tom