Chevette

Started by enjenjo, May 27, 2015, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

if any of you see a Chevette in a wrecking yard..

be sure to grab the steering column from the coupling to perhaps the steering wheel..  both tilt and straight can be really handy..

these columns have an Unusual feature..

if you disconnect the rag joint at the rack and pinion.. the steering shaft when you wipe it down will SLIDE in like you are retracting a radio antenna.  it will slide all the way to the end of the outer column tube..

this was a feature so you could get the chevette starter out..  if you did not do that..  you had to pull the column.. i found out how it worked as i pulled the column on the first chevette i put a starter on..  while i was reinstalling i noted that the end slid in and out easily.. i then went DOH!!!!

why spend the time for this..  if anybody is going near flaming river.. show it to them. they were not aware of that feature and man.. would that be handy with headers where the steering shaft goes thru the header..

i like it for the safety reason.. as that section also makes it collapsible somewhat..

its up to you if you pick up this oddity or not..   there are automatic and manual transmission versions..