Proud Grandpa

Started by 40, May 14, 2015, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

As many of you on here know,My wife and I have raised our Grandson Josh since he was in diapers.Today is the last day of high school for him and he will be graduating on Sunday and then off to college in the Fall.He has been both a joy and a blessing in our lives,we couldn't have asked for a more rewarding last 18 years.He will be attending a local college for at least the first year or two so he will most likely be living at home for a while yet.He has always been a " Car Kid " and attends nearly all of the events I attend around the country each Summer.Work,and of course,Girls are beginning to interfere with our car time together but I'm confident the car bug has been planted and will always be a part of his life.As a surprise graduation present he will be getting a new(to him) mustang tomorrow evening.I plan on parking it before hand in the restaurant parking lot,taking him and a few of our buddies to dinner and after dinner,as we are all getting in our cars to leave,flipping him the keys and telling him "not to forget to drive his new car home".He has been saving his money for a new Mustang for quite some time and has been planning for us to look for him a car this Summer.I purchased the car for him a few months ago and it has been quite a task keeping it from him.....he constantly brings me ads from the newspaper,Craigs lists etc showing me cars he thinks we should investigate. I keep telling him he needs to save more money......he's really getting tired of hearing that but he keeps saving like scrooge! Attached are a couple of graduation pictures......I'll try and post a photo of him and the Mustang later.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Harry

You done good, Granpa.

enjenjo

You want to adopt me?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

That's a great story. I hope the ending is better than we expect. :)
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

From what I know about you Daryle, the things you've taught him about the value of hard work, beating adversity, right and wrong, and many other values are worth way more than that Mustang. Apparently he has earned it. As Harry said, 'you done good'.  

Hopefully you'll both be around for a long time and you'll see Josh pass the things he has learned from you on to his kids and grandkids. :D
George

phat46

Wow, that is a very fortunate young man and a very fortunate grandfather. Whatever the circumstanses were that brought you together must have been meant to be. If you don't adopt Frank, ( he eats a lot) I would like to be next in line! 😃

phat rat

Lucky kid. You for a grandpa and a Mustang!
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

WZ JUNK

Great story.  Great grandson.  Great Grandfather.  

We have a little family bad luck recently and I needed a lift.  A feel good story just made my day.  Thanks.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Thanks for the kind comments.Not sure I'm up for adopting any more "Kids" but if I change my mind,you guys will be first on the list! We gave Josh his car last night after dinner.He had no idea,As we walked out of the restaurant,my wife pointed toward the Mustang and asked him if that wasn't his dream car. He replied that it was and then my wife asked him if he'd like to look at it.....He said "No,the owner would probably get mad".My wife said "I don't think so" as she handed him the keys. He was in total shock and the look on his face was priceless.After many hugs and thank you's.......he was off to show his buddies.The other really cool thing about giving Josh this particular car for graduation was that the original owner had been given the car when it was new back in 2010 by her grandad as her high school graduation present.He had passed on and she was having thier second child and needed 4 doors.......I think the fact that I was giving it to my grandson made letting it go a little easier.I promised to send her a photo of Josh with the car.....I think when she sees that huge grin,she will know it went to a good home.

Crosley.In.AZ

You did good there.  On many fronts.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

This is a serious feel good moment . I like that the car was a gift to the previous owner too. Must have made it easier for previous owner to let it go knowing it was going to be just as special to the new owner .

Mikej

Daryle, Thanks for feeding us yesterday. It was good to see you guys. Josh has grown into a nice young man. Good luck on your move. Its not raining so you better work around the clock.

rumrumm

Nice to hear such a great story. Thanks for posting.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

34ford

Wow Daryle, that's the little kid that always rode shotgun in the big caddy. They grow up way to fast.

Here are a couple of photos of the kid and his car.The grin dimmed just a little when he went to the court house to pay for the license and tax.....but,just a little!

Mike,it was good to see you and the family on Sunday.....Treyton is quite the character.....we should have had him pretty sugared up for the ride home!

Bob,you are correct.....that's the same little shrimp that used to ride shotgun.....they do grow up awful fast!

Lynn,Hope to catch up in Des Moines this year.....It's been a while!