Welder Series cross member Mustang II

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 20, 2015, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Any body ever  narrowed  a cross member from W S ?  Seems simple enough.

I've been doing some chypering on a cross member for coil over shock deal.  It would be a little cleaner on the car.

Actually could use 2 of them.  One at 56"  width  hub to hub... then a 48"  inch wide unit hub to hub.

May even try my hand at building a tubular set of control arms.  Likely it would be cheaper to buy a quality set  by the time I am finished building a set
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

416Ford

I narrowed my cross-member in my car. I took equal amounts out of the end frame pockets. I should have cut the cross member outside the steering rack mounts and lap welded it back together. I kept the same lower mount distance and found out latter that the member was actually too wide.
Live and learn or measure twice and measure two more times just to be sure.

Elpaco (?) on the HAMB gave direction on how to make your own.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

unklian

Quote from: "416Ford"

Elpaco (?) on the HAMB gave direction on how to make your own.

Elpolacko.

enjenjo

I narrowed a crossmember 4" some time back, and shortened a manual rack the same amount. If you want to build your own control arms, you can get them unwelded from Welder Series too, or buy the parts you want from UB Machine and build your own.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"would this rack work?

http://www.rjracecars.com/Stiletto-Gen-2-Pro-Lite-Black-Prodview.html

Might work.  A bit out of my budget at 600 dollars
Tony

Harry

Call Horton's and see if they will make a narrow one for you.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I narrowed a crossmember 4" some time back, and shortened a manual rack the same amount. If you want to build your own control arms, you can get them unwelded from Welder Series too, or buy the parts you want from UB Machine and build your own.

I have not found complete A arms on the Welder Series website.  Or enough parts to build arms from.  I may be over looking

The UB Machine web site wil take some time to read thru. Lots of parts there
Tony

sirstude

Maval, does most any length rack and pinions.  When I checked they were not too expensive.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I narrowed a crossmember 4" some time back, and shortened a manual rack the same amount. If you want to build your own control arms, you can get them unwelded from Welder Series too, or buy the parts you want from UB Machine and build your own.

I have not found complete A arms on the Welder Series website.  Or enough parts to build arms from.  I may be over looking

There is a downloadable PDF catalog with a lot of parts in the rear that are not on the web site
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"

There is a downloadable PDF catalog with a lot of parts in the rear that are not on the web site

I down loaded the catalog...  Nothing  on tube A arms. They mention a few brands of arms.  I may call Welder Series, learn what they suggest.  I am   Not too far from pulling the trigger on a purchase, I want a bit more information on parts n pieces.

The UB machine place has tons of parts to use.  My thinking is I will buy a set of tube Arms already built. Likely there are angles of ball joints on the A arms I dont know.

Seems most tube A arms are thread in or press in Ball Joints... These are Mopar ball  joints as I recall?

I found a set of tube A arms that are 5/8 inch narrowed... Will that throw off the angles on the spindle movement?  Goof up ackerman further?
Tony

unklian

I found a set of tube A arms that are 5/8 inch narrowed... Will that throw off the angles on the spindle movement?  Goof up ackerman further?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Crosley.In.AZ

I found a seller on eBay with upper tubular A arms for Mustang II application  at 99.00 dollars shipped.

Seems odd one seller would be near 40% lower price than others on eBay & other web sites.
Tony

river1

Most times when just one is considerably cheaper so is quality of the unit.

Have you talked to Elpolacko about it, he makes A arms amongst his many other talents. He may also have a recommendation of a good quality to price ratko unit.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

unklian

Seems odd one seller would be near 40% lower price than others on eBay & other web sites.

Probably a reason.  :wink:

Would hate to realize what that reason is, at the side of the road.  :roll: