4 cyl performance needed

Started by Beck, December 24, 2014, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

You could always use a Vega motor with cast iron sleeved cylinders. GPster

unklian

Quote from: "GPster"You could always use a Vega motor with cast iron sleeved cylinders. GPster

When was the last time you saw a Vega motor ?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "GPster"You could always use a Vega motor with cast iron sleeved cylinders. GPster

When was the last time you saw a Vega motor ?

Local guy had a Cosworth Vega for sale cheap.  Complete engine and drive train out of a burnt Vega.  It had been in storage a long time.   Neat engine but I bet spare parts are hard to come by.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

unklian

They were decent, in their day.
Which was a long time ago.

Beck

I need to take a walk through the local pick and pull. I made a list of cars that the K24 was available in. I will look for one of those.

I had a new Vega in 1973. I don't want any more of that motor. Even the Cosworth Vega doesn't compare to the other options.

I'm surprised not one came up with Mitsubishi 4G63 recommendations.
I kind of expected a BMW suggestion also.

jaybee

That's right, WRX are turbocharged, intercooled, AWD. I've driven one, they can put a lot of speed on in a hurry...even on wet pavement.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Beck

I made a trip to a local recycle yard. I found no Honda K24 powered cars, and one partial K20 motor. I did find a surprising number of Subaru cars. None of them were the WRX models. The only other thing of interest were some of the mini trucks. I checked them out because they were RWD and what I consider an easier build. After checking the hp figures I found they are lower output. The highest powered mini truck I found was a Toyota Tacoma with a 142 hp rating. Two of the Subaru were rated at 175 hp.

Adding a small turbo to one of these Subaru motors would get me to an acceptable output. If I can believe what is posted on the internet the stock internals should hold up to 300 hp. I have no idea how to handle the CPU programing for the increased output or boost.

A turbo on one of the truck motors would work also. I have not researched the strengths or weakness of those. I would have the same computer programing issues with them. I miss the old "put a bigger carb on it" days.

unklian

What does your competition run, for motors and hp ?

Beck

Quote from: "unklian"What does your competition run, for motors and hp ?

I have not attended one of the pulls that were running this class. I pulled with this group 10 years ago in a smaller (750cc) class. This larger class was not run at that time.  The information I have been given, by one of the competitors in the class is:

There are Suzuki Hayabusa's and Kawasaki zx14r's that run very consistently and strong. When one of the turbocharged car motors is "on" it beats the motorcycle motors. I don't know what automotive motors they are using. The photo I saw was an inline 4, not a Subaru.

I spent the day studying the Mercruiser 3.7 and the Toyota 2RZ-FE (2.4L) and 3RZ-FE (2.7L) motors. The Mercruiser (Ford) has vibration issues but the big cubes make it inviting. I may be able to use one of those naturally aspirated. This motor is unique because it has a GM bell housing bolt pattern, but the bell is an extra 5/8" deep. The Toyota seems to have a strong bottom end. I could turbo it without buying internal parts. The fuel injection control is the expensive part.

kb426

If that Merc-cruiser is the one with the 460 head, I did some research several years ago and found alot of weirdness. There was many proprietary parts meant for marine use. If you are up for machine work and fabricating, it could be interesting but I don't think cheap.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

How about a 60 to 63 Tempest 4 cyl? 3.2 liter, with an overbore 3.5 liter is possible. The new Edelbrock aluminum Pontiac head will fit it. All the parts except the crank and block interchange with the V8 stuff so it's not too hard to find.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Assuming it is legal, the size of the Mercruiser looks tempting,
lots of good cyl heads available(460 Ford).
Even with the extra displacement, NA won't be enough.

But the imported 4 valve stuff with a turbo will make REAL power.

Beck

I am planning to pick up the Mercruiser Saturday if the weather cooperates. The motor has been in a lean to for several years. It had a knock when it was pulled so expect a bad rod bearing.
I wish I was a bit smarter about figuring out strokers. It has the 460 Ford size rod journals. If I offset grind the crank for BBC size rods and use common, slightly shorter rods, I can get an extra .220 stroke. I think. Wrist pin size is the same on the BBF and BBC so the Ford pistons should work.

This will lead to my next post about transmission weights.

Beck

Quote from: "Beck"
I wish I was a bit smarter about figuring out strokers. It has the 460 Ford size rod journals. If I offset grind the crank for BBC size rods and use common, slightly shorter rods, I can get an extra .220 stroke. I think. Wrist pin size is the same on the BBF and BBC so the Ford pistons should work.

The stroke would have increased by .440. Forgot to add it to the swing on up AND down.
The 3.7 crank has 3" rod journals. The BBC has 2.2" rod journals. The 3.7 rod is 6.605 long. The BBC rod is available in a 6.385 length. By offset grinding the crank .220" to use the BBC rod I would gain .440 in stroke. The deck height is commonly cut on these to zero deck them. There would be up to .020 available there for extra stroke. This would bring the motor to a little over 250 cid.
I do not know if there is enough length on the bottom of the bore to support the piston. That could be the limit of the stroke.  

What am I missing? This thing would vibrate terribly.

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"This thing would vibrate terribly.

Not running it too long.   :wink: