4 cyl performance needed

Started by Beck, December 24, 2014, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

It has been a slow week so I have been dreaming again and would like some input.

I am considering building another tractor for competition pulling. The class I am researching is for 4 cylinder automotive engines. There is no size limit. Turbos and superchargers are allowed. Injection or carburetion is ok. No nitrous or nitro is allowed. Gas or alcohol is permitted.  It is pretty wide open.

One thing to consider is the tractor is RWD so the engine has to be able to be coupled to the rear wheels practically. This may be possible with a FWD setup using a chain drive from the differential output to a live rear axle. A driveline from a RWD vehicle would be easier.

I am wide open to engine suggestions. It has to be available and not too high $$$. I am thinking a turbo will be needed to up the hp.

Any suggestions on motor/transmissions? Below are a few of my thoughts. Slam them or praise them or add some others to it. PLEASE.

2300 Ford
Ecotec
Atlas 4 from a Colorado
Iron Duke
Mitsubishi 4g63
Honda
Mercruiser 3.7L (224 cid) (Don't know if this one would be legal since it is marine only)

GPster

When Jeeps stopped using the Iron Duke in '83 they started using an AMC 4 cylinder so you might check in Jeep forums to see what they think of it. Different things that I've see on Mercruiser is the 4's that are from the Iron Duke design have a somewhat week bottom end. Subaru is seeing a lot of buggy use around here and the must be reliable because parts of them are used for ultralite airplanes. Also with the flat 4 design it might give you some different weight transfer options. Can't use a half of a V8? GPster

kb426

I've seen some impressive numbers from the 2.3 turbo Ford with efi. The carb version is very poor. It maybe out of your price range.
TEAM SMART

unklian

Honda K20, adapted to your favorite transmission.

VERY well built motors, lots of potential.

Check and see if compound turbos are legal.

:D

unklian

Quote from: "kb426"I've seen some impressive numbers from the 2.3 turbo Ford with efi. T

Rangers used a 2500 version of the same motor.
http://www.esslingeracing.com/

chimp koose

2.3 ford or anything Honda. the Hondas seem to be able to take crazy boost, bottom end is pretty stout apparently.

jaybee

My first thought was Midget engines because they're relatively low-buck race cars and they tend to run wide open continuously like a puller...not sure if there's any potential here for you or not.

Ford-powered Midgets these days are using the Zetec Focus engine. I don't know what has to be done to make the Zetec fit rwd, but there's a bunch of them on the grid when USAC Midgets come to town.  http://www.focusmidgetresource.com/Buying_New_Used_Engines.html

Toyota wins their share of Midget races, but a quick cruise of the internet says they cost about five times what the Zetecs do and my nonscientific impression from watching Midgets at Iowa Speedway is that they suffer a lot of oil pan failures. They must spin about a billion rpm on the 7/8 mile at which point parts start looking for any weak point at which to escape the engine.

The MOPAR Midget engine is a purpose-built piece so it's out based on the rules you described.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5007466?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiO-kBRCNxtaJp4-En6sBEiQAnkvW36hAFaVVbTOkgPB-iem3qv8BQaCUtvIp0gOgeE-lRGEaAkxa8P8HAQ

Same is true of the GM motor.  http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctrp-0810-chevy-midget-engine/
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Beck

Thanks for all the input guys!

GPster - I know the Iron Duke was used in some high powered applications, but I am unfamiliar with any performance AMC builds. Surely some Jeep guys have been tweaking them. I like the Subaru idea. They are compact and low. The WRX has a factory turbo doesn't it?

kb426 - There is a local guy drag racing a built 2300 with a huge turbo. 1000 hp. It has a habit of melting pistons. They use a racing block so I am unsure or the final size.

unklian & chimp koose - I didn't know the Honda motor #, but I knew they were really boosting them.

jaybee - Anything Midget is big $$. I didn't put the Zetec in my list and should have. It has potential. I believe the Toyota and Mopar midget motors are dedicated racing motors. Their block style was never used in production vehicles. I don't know the rules enough to know if that makes them illegal for my use, but it does make them to expensive for me.

I don't know how I would put a transmission on the Subaru, Honda, or other FWD motor. I expect some have adapters available.

GPster

Quote from: "Beck"I don't know how I would put a transmission on the Subaru, Honda, or other FWD motor. I expect some have adapters available.
Early Subaru had 4wd and aren't some of them AWD? I think they are using them AWD in the buggies around here. Also they aren't traverse mounted engines. I may be uninformed because the only time I looked under the hood of one was '78. Because of what I had seen for the ultralites their horse power and torque range must be in a different band than is common because they chain drive a jack shaft that the propeller is mounted on so that the rpm of the motor and rpm of the prop may be different. That chain drive may be a way to hook up to a transmission. I just look at interesting combinations but I don't pursue them as far as spending money or being competitive. GPster

unklian

The B, and D, series Honda motors are more common
because they have been around longer.

Most Honda motors spin in the wrong direction.

The K20 is the latest, best version, and spins the right way.
LOTS of potential.

unklian

Backwards, turbo K series Honda, hooked to a Powerglide,
v-drive, to a 9" Ford, driving the wrong wheels :

1200+ HP :shock:

Sounds terrible. :roll:

unklian

Forget the GM Ecotec motors.

Most of the people that ran them, were factory supported.
Last time I checked, there are no GOOD aftermarket parts
available off the shelf.

Worlds fastest 4 cyl drag cars:
http://grs-motorsports.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15889

unklian

Quote from: "unklian"Backwards, turbo K series Honda,...

The reason I suggest the K20/K24 Honda,
is they come highly rated by Larry Widmer.
He says the bottom end, is like a TF motor. );b(
MUCH more potential than the earlier stuff.

unklian

Another option, might be the Toyota 3RZFE.
2700CC 16 valves, 3000cc is possible.

Bigger IS better. Everything else being equal.

Check aftermarket support, before going too far.
Custom parts, have a custom price.