bearing between spindle and axle

Started by chimp koose, December 18, 2014, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I want to machine my econoline spindles to match my axle which is set up for 39-48 ford spindles. I need to remove 1/16" in total from the inside faces of the spindle to make it work as I understand it. I have made my own kingpins from material I got from Enjenjo , 4130 I believe , and it is .750" OD , this is .009 larger than the original econoline king pin . I don't know what to call the bearing between the spindle and axle at the bottom , but I wonder if the econoline one will even fit as this pin is .009" larger. Also I don't know where I would look for it or the part # for just that bearing as I have made spindle bushings and pin and have no need for a complete king pin kit . I am wondering if anyone would have the part # for the bearing for a 39-48 king pin that I could sleeve to fit my application.If I can locate these parts I can start to fit the spindles as I can calculate exactly how much to trim my spindles to fit this axle.Any help would be appreciated. I have found a neat way to disc brake the front using GM metric calipers and a $9 speedway bracket with aerostar AWD front rotors from a thread on the HAMB .

enjenjo

Here's the Timken thrust bearing catalog   http://catalog.timken.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.7.1

The type recommended for steering is a TTSP. Find what you need, and Google the part number for a source.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

thanks guys ,googled and it sent me to it in the macs catalogue. I had been looking in macs site and couldn't find it but got to the part through google. I will try my luck at a local bearing supplier with the  # off the macs picture .No sense shipping 2 $5 parts if I can score them locally.

unklian

Hopefully a couple seconds with a Dremel will fix the ID.

chimp koose

If I use ones from the 39-48 ford spindle I will actually have to make a little sleeve. I can't even seem to find the econoline ones anyways.

chimp koose

went to a local bearing supplier with what I needed and some measurements and  numbers off the picture of one on the macs website. ended up with a Timken T76-904A1  i.d. .7505 o.d. 1.655  .My next question is ,should I put a hardened washer on either side of this or not? I don't think I need to but better safe than sorry. Also what should I be putting in the top space between axle and spindle ,another hardened washer , two ? Once I have all this figured out I can start machining the spindle opening to fit the axle.

2buck

Not to go off subject but are you sure the kingpin angle is the same for the early Ford Spindle as the Econoline's spindle?

chimp koose

Not entirely sure of that but I think mine are at 8 and the old ford is 7 1/2 , I will measure it all when assembled with a camber gage .If they are out I will need to bend the axle.

chimp koose

I had it wrong old ford is 8 and econoline is 7 1/2 . Econoline alignment spec allows for +- 1/2 degree. I will check when assembled but I think I will be ok.