Ford 5.4L JUNK

Started by 416Ford, December 01, 2014, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

I was looking for more projects to work on so one of my plugs decided to pop out on our Expedition.
It is on the right side and it is not the number one cylinder from what I can tell.
How much of a pain is it to do this repair without removing the head? It looks very tight in there and the engine has 248,000 miles on it.
I would consider myself a mechanic as far as skills go. I just don't do it for a living anymore.
Thanks
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

There's a special kit for that.  I haven't used one so I can't tell you how difficult it is. I have seen youtube videos showing how it's done.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

I have a 5.4 in a van with 160K on it and just had the plugs changed for the first time ($450 with one new coil).  I took it to a good shop and kept my fingers crossed but the change went without a hitch.  

Whoever changes the other plugs on yours should have experience with those engines because there might be more problems getting the others out.  Good luck and make room on your credit card.
George

416Ford

Quote from: "purplepickup"Good luck and make room on your credit card.

I will drive it to the recylers with scrap in the back before I pay $450.00 to fix the one plug. I only payed $600 for it and we already have $500 into repairs since we picked it up two years ago.

I put the last one plug/coil in and it went out and in without any problems. This one is harder to get at and I don't have the tool kit yet. That I can barrow or rent I believe.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

purplepickup

Quote from: "416Ford"
I will drive it to the recylers with scrap in the back before I pay $450.00 to fix the one plug.
I agree.  You probably have better access to the plugs on your Explorer than I did on my van, and the van is rust free from west Texas....worth the investment for me.  Besides, you're younger and much more ambitious. 8)
George

UGLY OLDS

Like George says ...warm up your credit card ... We do about 4 to 6 of these operations a week on fleet vehicle's across the country ... Normal dealer rate is about 4-5 hours depending on the location ... ( After you pay the mandatory 1.0 hour diag time ) ..

You should be able to rent /loan the insert kit from Advance Auto / Alto Zone / Etc ... Look for the Ford TSB on how to change them,  It involves "soaking" the plugs in cleaner before trying to remove them  ...Labor intensive but it works ...

ALSO .. One of the aftermarket plug Mnf ..( Champion???) , makes a one piece plug to replace the plugs you are removing ....  

Don't forget the never seize ....

LOTS of stuff on the net about this operation ...

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

248k miles and it spit a plug?  wow , pure junk.  :wink:

My Ford with a 5.4 started to eat coils at 65k miles.  When the truck was first purchased,  I pulled the plugs and lubed them with anti-seize.  Not sure if that actually helped or not.  Got rid of the truck around 75k miles when gasoline prices were going crazy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

the spark plugs are loosened NO MORE THAN 1/4 turn using a beam or click type torque wrench to NOT EXCEED 20 foot pounds.. set click type to 20 foot pounds...  once loose... use slow evaporation solvent around spark plug to wick down the threads overnight.. to soften the CRUSTY Stuff on the extended tip of the spark plug..  if the crud on teh end of the spark plug is NOT softened..it will prevent the spark plug from unscrewing as it turns.. it will stay at the same level and just destroy the threads...  like you were taking lug nuts off with an air impact and just spun them for a while after they reached the top of the stud.. this just mangles the threads...

this design of ford spark plug only grips with a few threads in some cases..  if they are damaged.. there won't be enough to hold them in place..

if you cannot borrow the tool.. and you decide to keep it.. you might contact several automotive machine shops. see if they come out to just do the retapping and install.. of the thread inserts.. where you will have removed all the stuff to get at them..

i for some reason have NOT had to do this job yet.. i expect it any day though..  i have heard that you may NOT actually need to remove all the covers and lower intake to get the inserts done... just the upper plenum and those come off really easily..  again.. i could be wrong..

i have done dozens if not a hundred spark plug inserts on other motors. i went as far on 2.2L gm trucks to have a coupling nut welded to the top of the tap.. so  i could get it down into the narrow passage ..

jaybee

My brother just had this done on his van with 4.6L. Thankfully I was at work in Kansas City and no risk of him asking me to do it for him.

I've done way too many jobs for him that turn out way more complicated because "oh, I didn't think to mention that."
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Arnold

Quote from: "wayne petty"the spark plugs are loosened NO MORE THAN 1/4 turn using a beam or click type torque wrench to NOT EXCEED 20 foot pounds.. set click type to 20 foot pounds...  once loose... use slow evaporation solvent around spark plug to wick down the threads overnight.. to soften the CRUSTY Stuff on the extended tip of the spark plug..  if the crud on teh end of the spark plug is NOT softened..it will prevent the spark plug from unscrewing as it turns.. it will stay at the same level and just destroy the threads...  like you were taking lug nuts off with an air impact and just spun them for a while after they reached the top of the stud.. this just mangles the threads...

this design of ford spark plug only grips with a few threads in some cases..  if they are damaged.. there won't be enough to hold them in place..

if you cannot borrow the tool.. and you decide to keep it.. you might contact several automotive machine shops. see if they come out to just do the retapping and install.. of the thread inserts.. where you will have removed all the stuff to get at them..

i for some reason have NOT had to do this job yet.. i expect it any day though..  i have heard that you may NOT actually need to remove all the covers and lower intake to get the inserts done... just the upper plenum and those come off really easily..  again.. i could be wrong..

i have done dozens if not a hundred spark plug inserts on other motors. i went as far on 2.2L gm trucks to have a coupling nut welded to the top of the tap.. so  i could get it down into the narrow passage ..

This (not Just the Notorious Ford) has become such a problem here in the rust capital of the world :lol: .As well as Plus people bragging about how long they have had their plugs in their car :idea:

That someone told me they knew someone that had set up a business doing ONLY this. This guy only does onsite.Absolutely no warranty on his work due to some of the mess's others have left him.NOone has come back yet. He is like the go to guy..loves doing it..making some good money now. $100 per plug.

enjenjo

I have not been into one of these although I own a 5.4. I'll take it to my buddy when they need replacing. My question is, if there is room for an insert, why are they not using bigger plugs to begin with?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I went with a woman for almost 10 years who bought a '98 Chrysler Cirrus w/V6.  We broke up in late '07, and she had over 225,000 miles on her car, and the plugs had never been out. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"why are they not using bigger plugs to begin with?
There's no money in that repair.

Now my tie rod is coming apart on the Bravada..... Not a good two weeks so far.
The tie rod is moving inside of the adjuster? I can get a 1/2" of movement out of it. It is parked for the night. Hope nothing brakes on the Mustang tomorrow. :(

UGLY OLDS

Quote. Hope nothing brakes on the Mustang tomorrow. :(
[/quote]

You seem to be on a roll.....

Ever consider "Public transportation"  :?:    :lol:

Bob ... :wink:  :roll:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****