fuel troubles

Started by 416Ford, October 28, 2014, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Quote from: "chimp koose"I had a similar problem years ago with a vehicle that would just die for no reason and usually start right back up.The culprit was a piece of PAPER  floating around in the tank that would occasionally plug off the fuel line in the tank.Shut it off and the suction stops , paper floats away only to return later with no really diagnoseable reason why , just random stalling. Get a camera in the tank and have a good look , a floater the size of a postage stamp would be all it takes to cause your random stalling.

I wish it was that easy Chimp, I pulled the tank, re-did fuel lines, replaced filters, sent carb in for rebuild, installed new coil, new module and new cap.
Fuel pump was new last year so I left that alone......
Next time I have an issue I may rethink my diagnostic method. :(

Thanks Bob, when she was done she bragged on FB about having to help me in the garage.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

rooster

Quote from: "416Ford"
Quote from: "chimp koose"I had a similar problem years ago with a vehicle that would just die for no reason and usually start right back up.The culprit was a piece of PAPER  floating around in the tank that would occasionally plug off the fuel line in the tank.Shut it off and the suction stops , paper floats away only to return later with no really diagnoseable reason why , just random stalling. Get a camera in the tank and have a good look , a floater the size of a postage stamp would be all it takes to cause your random stalling.

I wish it was that easy Chimp, I pulled the tank, re-did fuel lines, replaced filters, sent carb in for rebuild, installed new coil, new module and new cap.
Fuel pump was new last year so I left that alone......
Next time I have an issue I may rethink my diagnostic method. :(

Thanks Bob, when she was done she bragged on FB about having to help me in the garage.

A amp meter would have been a good choise, as the pump starts to labor the amps go up,following that you would have seen the fuel pressure droping until eng die's. Harbor Freight  has a small amp meter that plugs in to fuse box.

416Ford

Mine is a cam lobe fuel pump. I keep an eye on all the gauges I could see while driving it. Fuel pressure gauge was the one I could not see from inside the car and it only acted up at high speeds or after driving a bit.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

papastoyss

I had a friend who had this same thing happen on a '48 Chevy panel truck. The culprit was a 5 cent size piece of foil seal from the top of a fuel additive bottle that was in the tank!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

taxpyer

I had a fuel problem once, during construction of an old jeep I was doing I stuffed that blue paper towel in the neck to keep the dirt out etc. It was about a year after I had it on the road it would sputter and die when I hit bumps etc, and yes, you guessed it, a nice big square of the blue towel floating around inside the tank, it would plug things up, not all the time just every now and then,,,,,, thing is it never even disintegrated or anything actually the towel was even usable after it had dried after a year soaking in gasoline........ :oops: I hate those problems     :evil:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

416Ford

While the storms missed us and went south I took the car out for a test drive.
Sunny and 26 degrees, and the same problem as before...... :evil:  
Back to the testing stuff.

416Ford

No one mentioned to me to check the CHECK VALVE.

I didn't even know it was there.

I think I am good to go now....It seems to run without any hesitation now.

kb426

Was this on the vent side? Anyway, congratulations!
TEAM SMART

416Ford

No it is on the fuel side

kb426

That's a new one on me. Is the purpose of that to facilitate the fuel pump maintaining prime when it first starts? I thought all mechanical pumps had a flap valve that didn't allow drain back.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Not sure what the reason for it is. I don't remember anything coming with the tank to tell you that is even there.
I looked in the tube and fitting last time and they both look clean. The marble is stainless so it blends in with the fitting. You have to actually try and blow in to the tubes or take it apart to notice there is a problem. I did not do that the first time.

http://www.tanksinc.com/cartimages/prdp_291.gif?img_id=201401181101570