Need opinions!

Started by kb426, September 09, 2014, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm looking at options for an under fender liner on the 51 ford. Has anyone used bed liner or something like dynamat? Is the best answer to build a steel inner fender that mimics the tire diameter? What are your thoughts?
TEAM SMART

unklian

Bed Liner is pretty tough stuff.

Dynamat etc is intended to be used inside, out of the weather.

enjenjo

Bed liner. Pay the extra and have Rhino Liner do it. Much better than the spray can stuff.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

Bed liner. I have it on my front fenders and no more dings.

I agree.....Have used bedliner on the fenders and running boards on my last several builds.....works great and is an economical solution to save your fenders.The best part is when some wise guy walks up to your car,feels under the fender and says to his buddy "told you they were glass fenders"!I also agree with Frank.......I have had mine professionally sprayed after doing the first one myself and they turn out much better with the Rhino liner.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

kb426

The closest Rhino dealer estimated $125 per fender. Is that normal? This is on blasted bare metal.
TEAM SMART

40 Chev Coupe

I used Second Skin on my Merc. Went on pretty nice. Its water based so no fumes. Works great so far.

wayne petty

the other option is time consuming..
but might be profitable.

and i have not been under an early 50s ford in 35 years.. so as usual i might be farting in the wind...

getting dimensions..  perhaps from a nut on the spindle end that your tape  measure or steel rule will slip thru and a digital protractor.   or a device that slips onto the spindle.  you know how to measure..

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-angle-gauge-95998.html

this will allow you to perhaps create an accurate chart to cut multiple layers of plywood to screw together .. yep.. a lot of work..

but i am thinking not full sheets.. 4 inch thick curves  that follow the profile so you can get a lot of layers out of each sheet of plywood..

this gives you the ability to create a die for each side.. ability to finish the top side smooth and shaped..  then talk to a vacuum forming company about tough plastic... yes.. making plastic inner fenders.  why go thru the monster amount of work.. because once you have spent the few days.. gives you a product to sell duplicates of.

its just a fart in the wind.. and i eat a lot of beans..  and you never think of how smart that individual muscle is..  it can tell the difference between gas, liquid and solids most of the time. and when it fools us.. perhaps its just showing its not a stupid area after all.

midnight sun

Quote from: "kb426"I'm looking at options for an under fender liner on the 51 ford. Has anyone used bed liner or something like dynamat? Is the best answer to build a steel inner fender that mimics the tire diameter? What are your thoughts?

This may sound crude /Rube Goldberg but I bought the cheapest acrylic caulk at Home Depot and trowled it on with a bondo spreader. smoothed it out with a wet sponge and then painted it black.  Nobody sees it anyway and it works great.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

nzsimon

I think that glueing cork tiles under the guards with contact adhesive and the over the top with Bed liner would prevent any star cracks from stones

Just an idea
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

unklian

Quote from: "nzsimon"I think that glueing cork tiles under the guards with contact adhesive and the over the top with Bed liner would prevent any star cracks from stones

Just an idea

How do cork tiles conform to compound curves ?

Proper bed liner is sprayed on THICK.

As I recall, the Rhino liner cost me $500.00 to do all 4 fenders and both running boards.I had to drive 70 miles round trip to his shop but it was well worth it. An inexpensive alternative that I have used in the past is the spray on rubber undercoating......the trick there is to apply it in several light coats to build it up to the desired thickness.The problem with that product is that it is not nearly as durable as the bed liner.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

papastoyss

3 M makes an aerosol product to restore the texture finish on  replacement rocker panels that I have used under fenders w/good results.I used the last I had on my '40 coupe 4 yrs ago, I don't remember the exact name of the product but 14,000 miles & no star cracks.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Quote from: "papastoyss"3 M makes an aerosol product to restore the texture finish on  replacement rocker panels that I have used under fenders w/good results.I used the last I had on my '40 coupe 4 yrs ago, I don't remember the exact name of the product but 14,000 miles & no star cracks.

It's called Chip Guard. But it takes several coats of the spray can stuff to get a decent layer on it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

I used Chip Guard on the underside of the fenders on my '33, but as Frank says, not from a spray can and applied with the correct proofcoating gun.

Applied correctly you can achieve a smooth surface to apply top coat colour over and it'll lasta long time.  If you thin it out a touch so it goes on even smoother than you see on rocker panels, you'll need to wait a couple of days for each layer to cure, otherwise it'll crack.

Then just paint both sodes of the fender and your ride will almost look like a show car.   :D
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.