rear axle for a model A hot rod

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, August 28, 2014, 11:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Looking to hot rod out my 28 model a tudor sedan. Was wondering what rear end to get for it I plan on chopping it, running a 350 sbc, automatic tranny, running fenders all around.
. Ive read that a Mavrick rear end would fit right in. But was wondering about a s 10 rear. Anybody got any ideas on this?
What would be a good rear ratio? I have a line on a 73 Maverick rear with 5 lugs but is only a 2.70 ratio.

enjenjo

A S10 4x4 rear is about an inch wider than a Maverick rear. Depending on tire diameter, and if you have an OD trans or not, a 3.42, or 3.73 rear would be good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev Coupe

OK, now I found a 65 Mustang rear end assembly. Not sure which one to go with now the Maverick at 56.5 inches wide, or the Mustang at 57.25 inches wide.
Which one do you think would work better, or if you are running one of these, please let me know which one and how it worked.

papastoyss

I used a Maverick rear under a '40 Ford coupe 9/10 years ago. It was a little too narrow. If you don't plan to use an o/d trans a 2.79 or 3.00 ratio is a good choice.Pluses are axle bearings are self contained & press off & on the axle shaft, the chunk is removeable so you can work on the gears on a bench instead of on your back. If you want an od trans the ratios Enjenjo suggested will probably require replacing the ring & pinion. 8" Ford parts are more pricey than 9" probably due to more wider use of the 9" rear.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

I am using a Maverick in my "Retirement Project" Sedan ...
The width is perfect as long as you do not go crazy with the backspacing on your wheels ...

It also uses easy to find brake parts ...
 The downside is they have 2-13/16" axle tubes ...( Not 3" like everything else in the world) ..
Also watch for the small 2 1/2" ( I think) outer axle ends on the Mustang Rear axles ...A REAL nightmare to build around ..

I plan on using a 700R4 trans with a 29" tire & a 3:80 gear ...It should put me at 70MPH at about 1900ish RPM ...( I hope ... :roll: ) . That's the "Sweet Spot " for my cam ....  :idea:

Bob ....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Just to add a thought, the Ford 8.8 and other rears like it are 10% more efficient than the 8 or 9 inch styles.
TEAM SMART