Why is it

Started by enjenjo, August 17, 2014, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

That a car we would not throw rocks at when it was new is considered so cool now?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

go ahead and buy that prius  8)  you know you want to
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

tom36

Quote from: "enjenjo"That a car we would not throw rocks at when it was new is considered so cool now?

Good question.  I remember when 59 Chevys were new and I thought they were ugly.  Now I think they look pretty cool.  You couldn't give me a 50's Buick when I was a kid, but I'd take one now!    Tom...

Harry

So true...
When I was a kid, I thought '37 Fords were ugly and I wanted a '39 or '40 Ford.
I now own a '37 Ford.

phat46

Well some of them anyway, we had a flathead six cylinder Rambler that couldn't spin a tire and it's still not cool!  :shock:

Charlie Chops 1940

My dad had '53 Buick Special 4 door sedan with a straight stick in the late 50's, early 60's. It was a stone ugly car car then and it would be the same now. Beauty may be skin deep but ugly goes to the bone - or so I've heard.

He also owned a Frazer Traveler and a '51 Stude 4 door, V-8 stick in the early 50's I don't have a clue how I got the car gene.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

unklian

Should I invest in Pontiac Aztecs ?

Mikej

Quote from: "unklian"Should I invest in Pontiac Aztecs ?

YES

Mikej

50 Ford was an old mans car so now I would own one :lol:

jaybee

I've found the cars I'd like to have have spread out older and newer. My preference was for the musclecar/ponycar era, plus some of the early cars. Now there are a lot of the 50s and early 60s cars I like, but also things like the first generation "downsized" GM cars.

In my case I think that's probably partly because of what you can do to them. Suspension and steering for the early cars has improved a lot. The later models were dogs when new, but now they can be easily upgraded to go and handle quite well...they can be a lot of fun.

Today I followed a 64 or 65 Chevelle for almost the entire 13 mile trip home. It looked good and accelerated away from me easily without even trying, but one aspect made my eyes go wide. Something wasn't right with the car and it bump steered like nobody's business. Every single time it went over a bump you could watch the whole car rotate over the top of the suspension and the driver must have been pretty busy on the wheel. I'm sure it can be fixed...and really ought to be.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"That a car we would not throw rocks at when it was new is considered so cool now?
AMC Marlin????
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Quote from: "papastoyss"
AMC Marlin????

Good example :)
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

because some of us don't need to see ANOTHER 32 ford, Camaro,55-57 chevy, 64-66 mustang..... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "tomslik"because some of us don't need to see ANOTHER 32 ford, Camaro,55-57 chevy, 64-66 mustang..... :shock:

^^This^^

And, when the 'ugly' cars were on the road, we had all the 'cool' cars to look at, and we could tell which car was what.  Now that we have cars that all look alike (like someone dropped a ball of clay on the table), those old ugly cars look good.  I've always liked the off-beat cars, too.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Gee .... Do this mean there is still hope for the "Ugly Olds"   :shock:  :?:

Preserving "unique & different" for a long time now ...... 8)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****