Top filler panel

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, July 19, 2014, 04:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Does anyone know if anybody makes a kit to fill in the top of a Model A? Not to many junk yards in my area with station wagons to rob. What else will work?

Charlie Chops 1940

Look at SUV's and extended and crew cab pick ups.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Also some of the older minivans.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Canuck

Would help to know what year of body and the style.

28/29 or 30/31, 2 door, 4 door, coupe, sport coupe etc.

That will have a impact on the donor source.

I got a donor roof for mine by watching the Buy & Sell papers on line.  A guy was wrecking a 67 Chevy 4 dr HT.  Called and he told me come and get it, he had sold everything he could and the car was going to the shredder.  Even cut it off for me.  Perfect fit for a 30 coupe.  Cut all the framing off and slid it around on the roof for best fit.  Ended up the two front corners of the roof sat less than 1/4" high and fit perfect with only a slight push.  The rest of the roof sat down on the wood at all points.

I am keeping the fabric top look by covering the roof with 1/8" closed cell foam and vinyl then aluminum moldings around the edge.

Took a couple of months to find the donor but they are out there and possibly cheaper/easier than a wrecking yard.

Check my blog for pictures of the install.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

40 Chev Coupe

Sorry, its a 1928 Tudor.

Canuck

Talking to a friend the other day.  He has done quite a few A sedans (custom body shop for the last 20 years).  Likes Malibu/Cutlass etc wagons from late 70s early 80s.  Nice fit and nice design of the narrow ribbing.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

unklian

Quote from: "Canuck"Talking to a friend the other day.  He has done quite a few A sedans (custom body shop for the last 20 years).  Likes Malibu/Cutlass etc wagons from late 70s early 80s.  Nice fit and nice design of the narrow ribbing.

Canuck

Yes, available with or without factory roof racks.

Some volvo wagons had a smooth roof.

purplepickup

I've got a roof off a '58 Edsel wagon someone can have if they come and get it near Kalamazoo.  Solid, no dents.
George

chimp koose

when I did the roof on my 49 Anglia I used the roof off a chevette. It fit perfectly as is no sticking up edges.