Wiper arm/blade problems

Started by Beck, June 12, 2014, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I am putting a 2002 S10 Blazer together for a daily driver. I am having windshield wiper blade/arm problems. The drivers side blade is not making contact with the windshield in the center of the blade. Unfortunately this is directly in my line of sight when driving.

I have tried 2 different blades. One is the newer style that is sometimes called a "uni-blade". It is a plastic body with just the blade mounted to it. The second was the old style blade with the metal arch style body. Both had the same problem, but the latter was slightly better.

I expected the problem was caused by a week spring in the arm. I disassembled the arm and shortened the spring. This helped the problem slightly but it is still not acceptable. Now I am thinking I need a blade with more flex. The only other option I can think of is bending the arm to add more down force.

Any suggestions?

UGLY OLDS

Check the curvature of the windshield glass .  The "bargain" windshield company's sometimes install "Seconds" or "Failed QC" windshields ... The one that was installed in my DD Merc has the EXACT same issue .. It has a concave  "dip" or low spot in front of the driver .. Brand new blades will just barely wipe it clean .. After 30 days ..No good .. I switch blades from side to side ..Replace one at a time ..Etc ...

It gets REALLY exciting when they lift of the glass above 75MPH .. :shock:
Tried everything & cannot cure that one .... :roll:

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

You guys always have the answers. They are just not the answers I want to hear.
This won't work in the snow and ice, for sure!
This Blazer has been beat in the past. I have no reason to expect this is the original windshield. Many of the other repairs were done at less than top quality. I am trying to get it all sorted out.
Thanks.

Inprimer

Quote from: "Beck"You guys always have the answers. They are just not the answers I want to hear.
This won't work in the snow and ice, for sure!
This Blazer has been beat in the past. I have no reason to expect this is the original windshield. Many of the other repairs were done at less than top quality. I am trying to get it all sorted out.
Thanks.
There has to be a gazzilion Chevys in the junk yard (not trying to bust your balls ) try getting  an arm and blade  and see if the problem goes away

Harry

It may have something to do with the park position of the wiper blades.
Mine park on the chrome trim on the bottom of the windshield and leave a hollow spot when wiping. After a while they seem to flex and gradually fill in the high spot.

Beck

Fixed... It just took a flimsy blade to work. Normally I am an O'Reilly's guy. The blades I tried from there didn't work. I gave Auto Zone a try. The 2nd attempt was a success. It works as it should now. Who would have thought it?

I recorded the brand and style in my maintenance log so I don't have to shop the next time it needs wiper blades.

Arnold

Quote from: "Beck"Fixed... It just took a flimsy blade to work. Normally I am an O'Reilly's guy. The blades I tried from there didn't work. I gave Auto Zone a try. The 2nd attempt was a success. It works as it should now. Who would have thought it?

I recorded the brand and style in my maintenance log so I don't have to shop the next time it needs wiper blades.

I had to change wiper blades 2 winters ago. Some blades last several months to several years. The kind I normally bought..winter blades(with the rubber boots on)The quality had become garbage..and I tried 2 pair of frameless ones.They were just scary unsafe..WOW :!: Just how did these ever get manufactured :idea: Scary lawsuit stuff.I mean..ya..these things are just 100% unsafe for serious..freezing rain/salt/snow..type of driving. Not all of them of course..just a few brands for my particular car.
 I took them back. They said they were quietly taking these back..no questions..as some brands for some vehicles just could not conform to the shape of the windshield under certain condtitions.My car was right up there and they reccommended another blade and offerred to put them on right now.They had another pair of the winter ones that had bad quality problems..put them on..problem over..for now.