Strange drivetrain and gear ratio combo

Started by junkyardjeff, April 30, 2014, 11:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I picked up a 9 inch from a 81 F150 to replace the 8.8 in my 88 bronco 2wd project that has a 2.75 ratio,seen plenty of 2.75 ratios in trucks but this one was a 300 six and a 4 speed with o/d trans. My experience with those 4 speed with o/d trans is they have a big ratio jump between second and third that is like going from second to fourth,unless that trans had a normal ratio spread that truck would have been a under powered pig.

Charlie Chops 1940

I bought a '69 Chevelle 2 dr hardtop in 1970. It was a nice var , bench seat 350 4 barrel with a 4 speed. It had a factory rear gear in the 2.75 area - just don't recall exactly what. It got a couple more mpg's on the highway than similar cars that pals had but it was otherwise an absolute toad. I kept it a year or so and sent it down the road. Bought a nice used '64 Olds 88 2 dr with a 394 auto that got better mileage and performed better too. The Chevelle should have had a warning sticker on it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

416Ford

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940". The Chevelle should have had a warning sticker on it.

Charlie

It did. CHEVROLET. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

jaybee

Sounds like the '82 Monte that was owned by my Aunt and later my Dad. It had the little V6 and electronic Dualjet carb. Dad and Mom took it to Maryland once and were passed on a long I 76 upgrade...by a VW Campmobile.

That's just embarrassing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

Sounds just like my '89 GMC 4X4.. .. 350/ 700R4... 3:42 gears with  30" tires (!!) from the factory ... :shock:  

If you run in O/D at 60MPH with the convertor locked, the engine is running just above idle speed ..  :roll:  

We have learned to drive in "Drive" unless we are traveling on the interstate ... Trying to drive even at 40/45 MPH in O/D just lugs the engine too much or causes constant downshifting ....  

Just a thought .... :idea:  

Bob ....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****