The Gold Mine 1964 Chevrolet

Started by WZ JUNK, April 28, 2014, 12:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Last week my brother bought a 1964 Chevrolet Impala Station Wagon from a elderly hot rodder that lives in the area near him.  My brother had the opportunity to purchase the car a couple of years ago but he could not make up his mind, he thought the car had sold, and he forgot about it.  At a recent cruise night he heard the owner still had the Station Wagon, and he was anxious to sell it, and some other cars .  My brother looked the car over again, negotiated a price, bought the car and drove it home.  The first couple of days he spent washing, cleaning and just generally looking over what he had bought.  Saturday evening he decided to get serious and look in every nook and cranny.  Under one of the seats he spotted something and pulled it out.  It was an older bank bag that had been there for some time.  Inside the bank bag was another bank bag and inside that bag was the surprise.  The contents of the bag was a coin collection of silver dollars, a quantity of buffalo nickels and other coins, some expensive jewelry, and 4 gold coins.  The gold mine.  The story you always read about, but it never happens to you.

On Sunday my brother met with the man who had owned the car.  Sam asked the man if he had left anything in the car?  The man replied that he had checked the car and he had everything out of the car when Sam paid him and took the car home.  But, he said,  two years ago, after settling his parents estate, he lost something in his house that he had never recovered.  He had looked through the whole house many times over, but had no luck finding the bank bag that held the contents of his parents lock box.  He said it contains his mothers wedding ring, their coin collection, some of his mother's jewelry, and 4 gold coins that at that time were valued at over $3,000 each.  My brother said something like, boy have I got a surprise for you, and gave the man back his bank bag.  The contents of the bag far exceeded the price my brother paid for the car.

I will always remember how my brother handled this situation, and what he did for this man, and I hope our family will remember and tell this story many times.  Character is seldom seen today, but my brother has it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Good story, John. Doing the right thing always feels good. Now tell us about the wagon. :lol:
TEAM SMART

Carnut

Darn, wish I had a 'Like' button to click on this.

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jaybee

Character is what you do when you think no one is watching.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Charlie Chops 1940

That makes me again pleased to know brother Sam!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Good story, John. Doing the right thing always feels good. Now tell us about the wagon. :lol:

Just a good, old, driver, with a nice set of wheels.  It should be a lot of fun on the road.  Our dad had one like it, but I had a few beers and wrecked it late one night.  I was the bad son.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

There's actually people  out there that would have kept that find. I guess they have no conscience, I simply could never enjoy anything I could have gotten by keeping something like that.  Hopefully he gets rewarded for his good deed somewhere down the road.

Ohio Blue Tip

Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

chimp koose

Its nice to know there are still good  honest people out there.Your brothers car should remind him of his good deed for years to come.

Digger

);b(  );b(  );b(  );b(  );b(  );b(
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

phat rat

Doesn't surprise me that Sam would do that. John,  I'm sure you would do the same.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

purplepickup

I'll bet not only will your family tell that story a few times, I'd guess the guy's family will talk about it a lot too.  I like stories with a happy ending. :D

I bought a new Chevy van in 1971 and dropped it off to be undercoated.  I got about a mile away and realized I'd left 4 socks full of old coins under the seat.  My grandfather had an ice cream store in LA and kids would get into their parent's coin collections to get money to buy ice cream.  He gave me the 4 socks of coins to take to a coin collector expert I knew to have them appraised.  I went back to the undercoater right away and they were already working on my van.  The coins were gone and no one knew anything.  Maybe that was karma for my grandfather keeping the coins...who knows....probably just stupidity on my part.
George

348tripower

Don Colliau

Great story! I'll bet most of the guys that hang around here would do the same!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"