Can you jump a car thru the alternator

Started by 57larry, April 07, 2014, 06:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

my buddy has a rod with the battery ubnder the floor and hard to get to. when his battery gets low from sitting thru the winter, he puts the jumper cables on the alternator to jump start his car. if the battery is dead, he charges the battery thru the alternator.

I don't think this is good for the electrical system.

Who's right? thanks

junkyardjeff

I can see doing it to charge the battery,I hook the charger to the solenoid on my 37 Chevy p/u so I wont have to take the floor out.

jaybee

The big issue is going to be the size of the hot wire off the alternator...which in most cases I wouldn't want to use as a jumper cable.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tomslik

Quote from: "jaybee"The big issue is going to be the size of the hot wire off the alternator...which in most cases I wouldn't want to use as a jumper cable.

I've seen jumper cables that were made out of smaller wire than that....
but yeah, you CAN charge the battery like that but I wouldn't jump start that way.you'll let the smoke out... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

unklian

I'd rather jump start using the hot post on the starter.

enjenjo

At best the wire to the alternator will be rated for about 100 amps, most are less than that. On cars that the battery is not easily reachable I install Moroso jumper lugs in a place where It can be reached.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

Quote from: "enjenjo"At best the wire to the alternator will be rated for about 100 amps, most are less than that. On cars that the battery is not easily reachable I install Moroso jumper lugs in a place where It can be reached.

X2 :!:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Mikej

Sure you can charge the battery from the alt. lug. The alt does but I wouldn't jump it from there.

57larry

thank you for all the answers. I've seen my buddy jump his truck at least twice off the alternator. He's a crazy guy