GM column wire connector tab

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, February 25, 2014, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Here's a tough one...or maybe not. I'm just about done changing the outer mast on a Flaming River 1-3/4" diameter column with internal GM turn signals to 1-1/2" diameter so I can use a Limeworks "40 Ford column drop.

I've handled re-routing the wires and am about to put the ends back on the 8 wires. These aftermarket columns never seem to come with the small steel tab to hold the GM column half of the wires to the column itself.

Anyone know of a source for new? I know I can drill the welds on a junk yard unit but I don't happen to have one, and the local yards are under 3 feet of snow.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

416Ford

No idea of where to get a new one, but I may have one in my steering column parts box. Seems like I have almost everything possible in the box.
I will be in the garage tonight and I will look.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Charlie Chops 1940

The tabs on the ends of the metal piece would be about 3-3/4" apart where the black plastic connector snaps in.

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

416Ford

I was thinking of the longer one (6"+/- for the white plugs). You are working on the shorter black plug. I will still check and get back to you in the evening or early am.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

416Ford

Do not have one Charlie. I have five of most every piece except the mounting tab.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "416Ford"Do not have one Charlie. I have five of most every piece except the mounting tab.

Thanks for looking.

WZJUNK called me this morning to advise he raided his column junkyard and has a bracket on the way.

Thanks guys

A Hooligan!

lofat46

Check out this site, they have every replacement connector anyone would ever need.

http://www.repairconnector.com/

enjenjo

Quote from: "lofat46"Check out this site, they have every replacement connector anyone would ever need.

http://www.repairconnector.com/

Try Del City Wire. Many of the same connectors, much better prices.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Wzjunk sent me a bracket off a column in his graveyard. Had to lengthen it a tad. Gonna work fine.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Wzjunk sent me a bracket off a column in his graveyard. Had to lengthen it a tad. Gonna work fine.

Charlie

Well, it did come with a guarantee, you could have returned it for credit, or I would send another just like it.

I am glad you were able to make it work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

A Hooligan!