Vintage air

Started by 48ford, January 03, 2014, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I have the dash apart in our ford as im putting in a powered cowl vent I built. Then painting,ect.
But now that it's apart im thinking of a vintage air/heat unit too.
Anyone use one.? What did you think of it?
Thanks Russ

Harry

I have a Vintage Air unit behind the dash of my '51 Ford. Even their smallest unit takes up a lot of room. I think you can go on line and see the measurements of all their product.

kb426

I used that in the 32. Short of a factory air, that is my choice for best unit.
TEAM SMART

Carnut

Have had a Vintage Air in dash Heat/Air unit in my 40 Ford since 1990,

It has worked wonderfully. Cools in Kansas heat just fine, Drove home this last Saturday nite in 13 degree weather and it warmed just fine.

A/C still working on original charge.

My unit took out the glove box and I routed two outlets to blow thru the speaker grille and two outlets thru the ash tray holes.

Put blower switch and temp control in dash hole for choke and original heater switch.

papastoyss

Vintage Air is the industry leader. I've used several of their units w/good results. Also, if you ever decide to sell the car the name Vintage Air is a big plus. I once used a "lower price" unit from a South Carolina vendor & wound up pulling it out & replacing it w/ Vintage Air.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

348tripower

I have put in 3 or 4 of their units. Besides the unit being of high quality their customer service / tech team is over the top in my opinion.
Don
Don Colliau

moose

And Russ, If the seminars is not full Vintage Air is the speaker this weekend Jan 11th at ididit!

Okiedokie

I have used others, but after using VA I will never use another. Got one in both of mine and love em.

purplepickup

Well, Vintage Air ought to give you guys a commission.  All y'all convinced me to buy one for my Rambler.  You saved me having to read up on which one was the best deal.
George

Beck

I have used several of their units. I have had problems with most with interior condensation. The underdash unit I put into my 62 PU really had a problem. The carpet was always wet. I would put a towel under the unit to catch some of it. The moisture from that one was coming off the box not the lines.
I have a new one in the box to put into my Camaro which has been put on the back burner for a while.
Make sure to insulate the interior lines as well as possible.

48bill

I have one in my daily driven F-1 since 2000.  Cooled and heated fine for about five years.  The defroster in the rain used to work but no longer does.  i need a squegee to keep the windshield clear now.  

The plastic bracket  holding the fan in the unit housing broke several years ago and I repaired with super glue and bracing.  Hit a New England pot hole Monday and it is broken again so the fan scrapes the housing.  Have to wait for warmer temps to fix.  I liked it for a few years but not so happy now.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

enjenjo

Quote from: "48bill"I have one in my daily driven F-1 since 2000.  Cooled and heated fine for about five years.  The defroster in the rain used to work but no longer does.  i need a squegee to keep the windshield clear now.  

The plastic bracket  holding the fan in the unit housing broke several years ago and I repaired with super glue and bracing.  Hit a New England pot hole Monday and it is broken again so the fan scrapes the housing.  Have to wait for warmer temps to fix.  I liked it for a few years but not so happy now.

The defroster is operated by a vacuum solenoid, and a vacuum motor. check power to the solenoid, if that is ok, make sure there is vacuum coming out of the solenoid to the motor. If that is ok,make sure the motor can operate the defroster door.

You can convert it to manual operation with a choke cable. The defroster door is on the top of the unit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "Beck"I have used several of their units. I have had problems with most with interior condensation. The underdash unit I put into my 62 PU really had a problem. The carpet was always wet. I would put a towel under the unit to catch some of it. The moisture from that one was coming off the box not the lines.
I have a new one in the box to put into my Camaro which has been put on the back burner for a while.

Did you install the drain to the outside?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

papastoyss

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Beck"I have used several of their units. I have had problems with most with interior condensation. The underdash unit I put into my 62 PU really had a problem. The carpet was always wet. I would put a towel under the unit to catch some of it. The moisture from that one was coming off the box not the lines.

Did you install the drain to the outside?
If condensation is forming on the exterior of the housing , it is probably not draining properly. The unit must be mounted so that the drain pipe nipple is at the lowest point,  several degrees of angle. I also had one unit that had a piece of foam tape in the bottom of the unit  blocking condensation flow into the drain nipple. Try rigging up a hose/funnel into the air outlets & pour some water into the top of the unit & see how much comes out the drain & how quick it drains.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

ONE37TUDOR

I have install several units and I believe the VA is the best one for most cars. Space is an issue with some of their units but you just can't beat their customer service. The last unit I installed I managed to break one of the rheostats, my fault and I told them that and they still replaced it at no cost.

I have a big car (61 Starliner) and the A/C cools well even in the Texas heat. The heat does not work very well but I do not blame the VA unit, for some reason when I turn on the heater the water temperature drops down to about 145 and so you do not get enough heat to do much good. Have not needed heat all that much here so finding out what causes the issue has not been a priority.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT