57 Chevy rear quarter inserts!

Started by BFS57, November 30, 2013, 07:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, while I have my 57 in for paint, I am busy polishing the Stainless trim. Have a little bit of an impasse now with the rear quarter inserts! These are aluminum and anodized! It seems that anything I try (Brillo, Mother's polish, and Down right aggressive scrubbing) does not help the appearance of these pieces. Repops are about $550.00!!! Which I don't have to spare right now.
I did manage to "sand" the two short pieces that go on the rear doors and polished the high ridges and they look pretty good but the larger, longer pieces would be quite a daunting job to do that way!
I've heard that oven off works well and strips the anodizing, I have also heard that Lie (drain opener) also does a fine job too but I'm not interested in completely striping these inserts as the low areas look fine after the Brillo.
Thinking about buying some 1/8" Chrome striping tape to put on the high spots (long horizontal lines).
Anyone know anything better or have any experiences with this sort of thing?

Bruce

papastoyss

As long as those inserts are, if I tried something like that the tape would either be crooked and/or fall off three weeks later.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

bowtietillidie

Try ALSA Corporation in Los Angles Ca.  Maybe Wayne can tell you more it about it  They send me e-mail fliers all the time . They do all kind of paint and paint wraps even chrome.   The chrome shown in the e-mail fliers look really good not show quality but very good.
BOWTIETILLIDIE

jaybee

Here's the web site for ALSA Corporation. Pretty cool page, I can see their stuff having application. It's printable and a sign company could even print something interesting on it.  http://alsacorp.com/strechchrome/index.html
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Hello;
Thanks for all the help guys!
Here is what I did so far. In order to keep this part cost effective, I went the clean up with Brillo Pads, and clean up after. Then I found some 1/8" Chrome striping tape and put the tape on the high "lines" of these inserts. Looks really good from about 3 feet away! Good enough for my 57 Chevy Daily Driver. I will try and cote these with some laquer clear spray I found in my wonderings, this should make these pop or poop!

Bruce