Electric vs. engine driven fan ?

Started by chimp koose, November 14, 2013, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I have been trying to decide on the proper engine location in my T coupe project.I have an engine driven fan on it and was hoping to leave enough room to put in an electric fan if cooling becomes an issue. The problem becomes one of the engine sitting so far back that the trans interferes with the body cross brace at the leading edge of the seat.To get rid of this problem I have positioned the engine with 1" clearance from engine mounted fan to rad ,leaving no option for electric fan.I want to run a full hood with the 18 louvers like stock. Less than 400hp with a 3" thick (4 core ?) rad in the stock T shell.Am I going to have problems with heat? I have the engine positioned as low as it will go with block huggers on it(sbc) . If I switch to ram horn exh manifolds I may be able to lower the engine but the exhaust leaving the manifold will get rather ugly.Lowering the engine may allow me to move it back far enough to give me the electric fan option.Do I have a valid concern or do I have enough cooling capacity to not worry about using the electric fan? Suggestions , opinions?Thanks in advance.

jaybee

Seems like a proper engine-driven fan and shroud ought to be enough.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Hello;
I have been going around and around about this subject. What I found out is that if the car is moving, temps seem just fine, but when sitting the temps climb. This is related (I found out) to the distance from the front of the fan to the back side of the radiator. The closer the fan is, the better it cools while idling. The target distance seems to be between 3/8" to 3/4".
This plus a good shroud with the fan blades half in the shroud and half outside the shroud. I also added a high volume water pump on the 57 Chevy as I am nearing (after paint) the complete install of an AC system.
My 2 cents on this subject.

Bruce

chimp koose

Thanks guys. I will build a shroud when the time comes.I wanted about an inch clearance between the fan and rad so I could remove the fan without having to remove the rad . Just easier for maintenance or repairs later on.The fan I have is a 6 blade that is 19" dia. The hood is about 20" wide where the fan is so it will be a small shroud .I mocked up the hood sides today and they look like they will be about 1/2" from the #1 and #2 header tubes . The hood sides will be louvered so I hope that is not going to cause paint issues later.

kb426

I have become a fan of the electric fan. You install a good fan with a shroud and don't have any problems. Before I had to do this because of clearance problems, I was mechanical only in thought. I'm surprised by the outcome. There are many reasons why all the modern cars have electric fans. A few of those may become your reasons also.
TEAM SMART