Questions about AC install

Started by BFS57, October 24, 2013, 04:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, finally got off my behind and am installing my AC in the 57.
First, I was informed that the old condenser I had needed to be changed to the more modern style with fans, I did that! Next, I got all the pieces parts mounted inside the car, ran the electric to the compressor, the vacuum to and from the engine compartment, test mounted the evaporator, vents and so on. Got the inside controls mounted right where they need to be!
I'm finding out that this is no easy job! (quite darn complicated!)
Next comes the hoses. I am having problems locating the hose ends that mount on the compressor as they are not O ring type. Am really having a problem finding any kind of hose ends that will mount on the compressor with a service port on them! (90 degree) Most of the other hoses and I have as well as ends to get me where I need to go and come from.
Looked on several aftermarket sites but came up empty.
Question is, do any of you happen to know where I need to direct my search?? Any help appreciated.

Bruce

57larry

are you using a kit designed for the 57? I installed an Vintage AC system in my 57 wagon a few years ago and it fits really great and works well

BFS57

Hello;
The type of compressor fittings I need are FLARE with the service port on them. (90 degree) Can't seem to find any!!!
Of course the kit I have is from the now defunkted Hot Rod Air Co. so everything needs to be "cut to size" and "located" where it needs to go.
And it came with a lifetime guarantee!! (SOL)

Bruce

papastoyss

I seem to remember seeing adaptors that would allow installing flare fittings on o-ring compressors but I do not know if they are available they way you need. Try Vintage Air, they have a lot of small parts. If they don't have what you need try (shudder) Southern Rods/Air. If these two can't help you may indeed be SOL. They only other option I can think of would be a salvage yard core that had the end plate w/oring fittings & swap out the end cap.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

river1

If needed a couple of pages on swapping end plates

http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=523

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Here's a link to the Four Seasons catalog  http://www.pageturnpro.com/Four-Seasons/20811-2011-Illustrated-Guide/index.html#414

The fitting start on page 404. Find what you need, most parts stores can cross reference the numbers, and order what you need.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

I got mine at NAPA. This store has good counter men, very helpful. Larry