Chevy wood hauler

Started by 416Ford, October 08, 2013, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Well my Chevy has me stumped. 1994 Suburban 1500 with a 350 gas engine. Drove the truck into the barn to install some new tires, muffler and tail pipe. Started it back up and she ran for about 2 minutes and died.
Truck has spark.
Fuel pump works and has fuel to the back of the throttle body.
No signal at NOID
No Codes appearing on scanner.
Replace computer.

Someone said the crank sensor is bad, but I don't see a crank sensor available for this vehicle.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

rooster

It needs 9-13 pds PSI fuel pressure for the T-body!

Try priming the t-body with some gas see if it fires!

Time for a filter?

Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn key to  on position?

Check fuse's!

416Ford

That was the first thing I did.
I have not checked the pressure at the back of the TB.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

rooster

Quote from: "416Ford"That was the first thing I did.
I have not checked the pressure at the back of the TB.

Did you hear the pump run?

When you turn the key to ON (only) do you see the SES light on the dash?

This is to see if puter is alive!

416Ford

Lights on the dash are fine and the code that came us said no problems.
I can hear the pump run when I turn the key on and the pump will continue to run when I disconnect the fuel line from the back of the TB. I was able to fill a bottle with gas doing this.

tomslik

no sig at the injector?
bad module, pickup coil, or gear stripped on the end of the dist.
does it have spark?

do NOT buy Wells parts....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

416Ford

I have new coil in it and new module.  Not sure of brand at this time.
The truck does have a spark and will run if I pour fuel in the TB.

Rrumbler

Muffler or tailpipe plugged up??  Just on the off chance?
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

rooster

wayne petty

no signal at NOID...

check fuses....  check one wire on each connector..

do you have switched positive on one side..???

the power to the injectors comes on with the ignition switch.. you can check it at the fuses first...  cycle the key on. should have power.. cranking.. power.. release key to the run position.. power..

there are usually 2 fuses for the injectors on these.. one for each side..

i have had terrible issues with GM ignition switches...

the ECM switches the NEGATIVE Side of the injector in MILLISECOND pulses to ground..

there is at least ONE terminal block.. might be a pair on a single.. please check the voltage thru that ...   with the key on and the headlights on.. perhaps the defroster blower on...

do you have a digital volt meter???

or

just a test light..

i am going to PM you my phone number... if you want to talk about how it all works...

wayne petty

is there a chip or something to swap in the old 94 computer to the replacment version..

were you able to get a code 12???

there is a code chart called...

Won't flash code 12...

this is the wiring diagram for the 94 TBI 5.0 and 5.7 with a manual transmission..

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/23/1a/10/large/0996b43f80231a10.gif

here is a really good trouble shooting chart for TBI gms.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/TroubleshootingTBISystems.pdf

416Ford

Quote from: "wayne petty"is there a chip or something to swap in the old 94 computer to the replacment version..

were you able to get a code 12???

there is a code chart called...

Won't flash code 12...

this is the wiring diagram for the 94 TBI 5.0 and 5.7 with a manual transmission..

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/23/1a/10/large/0996b43f80231a10.gif

here is a really good trouble shooting chart for TBI gms.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/TroubleshootingTBISystems.pdf

Thanks Wayne got it.
Just so everyone is aware, This truck has been sitting in my barn in this condition for 6 months now. I work on it, get * and leave it be.  I work on it, get * and kick it, then let my foot heal. I work on it, get * and finally post up a help.

I believe the code was 12 that flashed and nothing else.

wayne petty

if its not a big rush...

spend some time..

clean the battery terminals..

clean the Negative battery cable to the body wire..

clean the negative battery cable to the front of the engine block
it goes several places.

follow the battery positive cable that leads over to the fuse box.. take that off the fuse box and clean  the ring terminal..

like i said above.. there should be a wiring stud on the firewall..

please.. also jack up the left rear tire  the fuel pump ground is on the top of the frame rail...

416Ford

Thanks for the help everyone.
It appears that I should retire from working on newer car completely and my buddy who brought over the scanner and noid tester should do the same.

Seem stupid to me but there are fuses for fuel injects......... and they need to be good fuses also. :oops:

rooster

Quote from: "416Ford"Thanks for the help everyone.
It appears that I should retire from working on newer car completely and my buddy who brought over the scanner and noid tester should do the same.

Seem stupid to me but there are fuses for fuel injects......... and they need to be good fuses also. :oops:

They probely got stuck from just sitting , you might try some injection cleaner!

Now you can go get that wood!