Drag Week

Started by Beck, September 10, 2013, 10:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Is anyone else following HR Drag Week live on the net?

WOW 6.70 sec quarter and drive to the next show? Thats NUTS.

Should I start dreaming about a Drag Week car instead of a Bonneville racer? Tomorrow they are in St. Louis. I had to take a days vac to see it since I am local to there. Gosh I haven't been to Gateway since.... Wed night.

A drag car would serve me so much better than a B'ville car. I can be from my work parking lot to the Gateway parking lot in less than 15 min.

If anyone else is going to Gateway tomorrrow. There is SERIOUS road construction in the area. There will be a lot of delays getting to the track since timing corresponds with rush hour.

My B'ville thoughts will change the 1st of Oct. World Finals at B'ville and I'm gonna be there. Think I could talk Hooley out of his LSR small block for my drag car. I heard it found it's way into his Henry J for a sideways pass.

Until Oct, what class of Drag Week car should I dream of? Gasser? I like the old Lark running as a gasser this year.

GPster

Quote from: "Beck"
WOW 6.70 sec quarter and drive to the next show?
Should I start dreaming about a Drag Week car instead of a Bonneville racer? A drag car would serve me so much better than a B'ville car. I can be from my work parking lot to the Gateway parking lot in less than 15 min. what class of Drag Week car should I dream of? Gasser? I like the old Lark running as a gasser this year.
Fun is in the thinking. GPster

Beck

I was looking at the route the drag week competitors have to follow from Indy to St. Louis. I cliked on a little figure in the road north of the drag strip. It brought up a live photo. It happened to catch what appears to be Gary Hart's GMC powered PU going by. I'm thinking I may go sit next to the route for a while this evening. Hmmm I'm supposed to be at my Mother-in-Laws for supper.... Wonder who will win that battle.

sirstude

What went 6.70?  Larson again, or have one of the other guys stepped up?
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

34ford

6.709 at 213 mph! Tom Bailey beats his own record for the Fastest Drag Week time ever!

Been watching. Here's a clip from today.

8-xIw

HotRodLadyCrusr

Beck, I think I read on the HAMB that World Finals is cancelled.  Check the Land Speed site to double check.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Glen

Steve Morris has been tuning that car and they made a run at it last year.  that is him helping stage the car.

Steve also tuned the 79 Malibu that won its class last year.  It ran a 7.48 yesterday on a skinny tire/radial and they voided the pass because the driver is only certified to drive 7.50 and slower.

Steve said they were running less than 26 lbs of boost yesterday on the 6.72 pass and was considering turning it up a little.

here is a walkaround and dyno pull on the Camaro, it had over a 1000 miles on the engine at this point.

sirstude

Denise,  

World of Speed was canceled last week, but I can't find anything about World Finals.  Mike Cook's shootout is still on for Tomorrow, and the finals are not for a couple of weeks after that.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

Quote from: "Glen"Steve Morris has been tuning that car and they made a run at it last year.  that is him helping stage the car.

Steve also tuned the 79 Malibu that won its class last year.  It ran a 7.48 yesterday on a skinny tire/radial and they voided the pass because the driver is only certified to drive 7.50 and slower.

Steve said they were running less than 26 lbs of boost yesterday on the 6.72 pass and was considering turning it up a little.

here is a walkaround and dyno pull on the Camaro, it had over a 1000 miles on the engine at this point.

Not that I know him but his shop is here in Muskegon. He does know how to make them run
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "sirstude"Denise,  

World of Speed was canceled last week, but I can't find anything about World Finals.  Mike Cook's shootout is still on for Tomorrow, and the finals are not for a couple of weeks after that.

Doug

It was probably World of Speed that I read about.  Got them mixed up.  Thanks for the clarification.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Beck

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"
Quote from: "sirstude"Denise,  

Doug

It was probably World of Speed that I read about.  Got them mixed up.  Thanks for the clarification.

You scared me for a little while. My airfare and rental car are non-refundable. I was with Jim Kirk last night and this morning. It is possible they are taking the roadster back out. Jim didn't say anything about cancelation.

Beck

I went to the local track in the metro St. Louis area where HR Drag Week was running today. I checked out the action with a buddy. I had met a couple of drivers last night in the motel parking lots. Some were thrashing on their cars others were sipping suds.
I talked with one of the Gasser drivers this morning. In fact his is the only car I took photos of at the track.
Later I found the route from Gateway to Tulsa was through my home town. I came back to town to watch them come by.
At a local burger joint / filling station the above gasser pulls in with 2 other cars. I approached and asked what they were looking for... "An auto part store where they could pull the motor apart" was the reply. I had them follow me home to use my garage, which happens to be a stones throw from their designated route. We could see the cars from the event drive by from my garage.
They wouldn't use any of my tools. They had to be self sufficient. I just stood back and watched. Lucky it wasn't serious. The front crank seal had pushed out. They had another with them. They thanked me and were on their way in about 2 hr, which included lunch from a local fast food joint.
I told them that made me feel like I had a little something to do with drag week, besides spectating.
Hope they make Tulsa and KY without any more problems. I will be following them on the net.

Glen

hi-lites from all five days for Tom and Steves adventure.

Crosley.In.AZ

Certainly was an interesting week this year
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)