Powerglide cold shifting issue

Started by ragtag, September 02, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

I just picked up a car with a 327 and a power glide trans. I've noticed that the trans up shifts quite a bit later when the car first starts up in the morning. After it warms up it shifts where you would expect it to. The car wasn't driven much during the last six years and now I'm driving it every day. I'm told the seals may have hardened and it will only get worse. What do you guys think.

phat46

I seem to remember all the PG's I've ever owned to act like that, but they were all in well used cars so that might not mean much.

kb426

My exp. has been that it may have old oil in it. Sometimes new oil and filter help.
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

I agree with the fluid and filter change as a starting point. It sounds like it isn't flowing well until it reaches operating temperature.

Tom

ragtag

Well guys the fluid and filter were fine. I added a quart of Lucas trans fix and put an adjustable vacuum modulator in. I'm not sure where the modulator was set at but it really shifts better now. When its cold it still shifts slower but not nearly as much. I think the Lucas stuff worked its magic.

2many projects

Quote from: "ragtag"I just picked up a car with a 327 and a power glide trans. I've noticed that the trans up shifts quite a bit later when the car first starts up in the morning. After it warms up it shifts where you would expect it to. The car wasn't driven much during the last six years and now I'm driving it every day. I'm told the seals may have hardened and it will only get worse. What do you guys think.

Dried out o ring lip seals will greatly delay the low to high upshift on an old Powerglide.
The tipoff is good shifting when it's warmed up.