How to ground a AutoLoc linear actuator

Started by ragtag, July 03, 2013, 11:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

I bought a new Auto Loc unit from Summit to replace one that failed. The old one grounded through the housing/mounting bracket so I thought the new one would to. It has two hot/power leads coming (one for in and one for out) but the housing isn't ground. I'm not sure if it's a defective unit or I'm missing something. Summit's tech line didn't know and Auto Loc will not return my calls or emails. Can anybody help me with this. Thanks,

wayne petty

hmm.... which part number??

here is one of the directions...

check out page 2...

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/hfm-lad2.pdf

there are several different ways to build a reversing electric motor..

grounded  with a wire for clockwise... and another wire for counter clockwise..

or a pair of wires... and you just reverse the polarity to change motor direction..

ragtag

I have a LAD 6. I saw those directions but the grounds to the relays will still not get a ground to the motor in the linear actuator.

wayne petty

ok.. lets look at this wiring diagram...

note that the relay on the left is shown as the lock and the relay on the right is shown as the UNLOCK

inside the relay... when the coil is not active.. the movable contact 30 is resting against pin 87A..  this is the NC position. (normally CLOSED )  30 to 87A...

in this diagram.. when the switch is centered.. both relays are inactive... so there is actually ground thru the 30 to 87A contacts to both red and black motor winding wires.

now.. when you move the switch to one side..  you complete the circuit to the coil winding with ground..(ground to 86) 85 which is the other side of the coil has positive along with pin 87.. the NO contact.. (Normally open)
so when you move the switch.  you activate ONE relay.. bringing pin 30 into contact with PIN 87 sending positive power to that wire to the motor.. making it spin in one direction..

the ground to the motor is supplied via the inactive relay 30 to 87A connection..

follow the diagram above carefully and it will actually work.. you can use a test light in place of the electric motor while trying the circuit.. rock the switch one direction and the test light will turn on.. the other direction and again the bulb lights up.. if you used a digital volt meter instead of a test light.. in one direction of the switch.. you would have +14 volts.. the other direction you would have -14 volts..

#####################

now to totally confuse this issue.. lets look at a wiring diagram for a ford 3 wire convertible top motor..

what you are kinda expecting...

this is the 3 wire system you were looking for..  but because of changes i see to the parts you have purchased.. you will have to rewire your relays to make it work properly..

ragtag

So what brand/part number 5 pole relay do I need?

wayne petty

well.. now.thats a hard question...

as everybody sells relays under different part numbers..

got any car alarm or car stereo shops??? nearby?? should be able to get a 5 pin relay ..  probably under 10 bucks with a pigtail socket also..

if you have a specific parts store chain nearby... post that info...

even radio shack will have them.  well maybe not...

this is what you need... can you get it locally.. yes...  i am still stumped by the part number.. hah.  finally stumped me..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-351/12VDC-SPDT-40A-AUTOMOTIVE-RELAY/1.html

there are 2 types of relay sockets.. single and double..

here is a single..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SRLY-2/SOCKET-FOR-AUTOMOTIVE-RELAY/1.html

this is a double...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SRLY-4/DUAL-SOCKET-FOR-AUTO-RELAY/1.html

warning.. some of the double relay sockets won't have 10 wires sticking out ..  they will be prewired for reversing applications..

i looked at radioshack online.. only found SPDT relays in 50 amp that you won't easily find sockets for..  i better put shoes back on while i have some toe nails left after being stumped several times on this one..

enjenjo

NAPA has it as     ECH AR201  or Partsmaster MR38
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragtag

Thanks for all your help guys. Here is what I found at Summit. Would two of these do the job?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-40h/overview/

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "ragtag"Thanks for all your help guys. Here is what I found at Summit. Would two of these do the job?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-40h/overview/

There seems to be some confusion in terminology.

These are NOT 5-pole relays.  ....Even Summit's description is wrong.  

They are 5 PIN relays as Wayne said.

The relays shown are Single-Pole Double-Throw relays, which are commonly known as SPDT.

Pins #85 & #86 activate the relay coil, and are not counted as poles.

Pins #30, #87, & #87A constitute one POLE.

The term "Double-Throw" indicates the Pole as having Normally-Open (NO) and Normally-Closed (NC) contacts.

A Single-Pole Single-Throw (SPST) relay would only have 4 pins:  2 for the relay coil, and 2 pins for either Normally-Open or Normally-Closed contacts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Yes the summit one will work, the price is twice the NAPA price, but it does include a plug and a circuit breaker

here's a 5 pack with harness, but no breaker for under $16 shipped on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-30-40-AMP-RELAY-HARNESS-SPDT-12V-BOSCH-STYLE-S-SHIPS-FREE-FAST-FROM-USA-/390461017170?hash=item5ae94a4c52&vxp=mtr

ragtag

I ordered the 5 pack on Ebay now I hope I can figure out how to wire them when they show up. Thanks for all the help guys.

ragtag

I got my relays today but there was no wiring diagram included. They five leads: black, yellow. blue, red and black. How do I know where they go:
        87a
 Thanks for any help.

enjenjo

On the back of the relay the numbers are printed in small letters. Just match the color to the numbers.

ragtag

wayne petty

just to help you and others...

let me show what happens if you push the UNLOCK left side of the switch in this diagram...  the left button down.. the center contact is connected to the right and sends GROUND connection to the UNLOCK RELAY..

this activates the unlock relay... changing the contacts from the normally closed position to the normally open position..
what..
30 to 87 is normally closed.. when no power to the coil winding.

30 to 87A is normally OPEN..  and closes when the relay is activated...

so the UNLOCK relay now sends power from 87A to 30...  and the motor gets positive on one side...

on the LOCK RELAY... thats NOT active.. its resting in the normally closed position.. 30 to 87..   since 87 has GROUND on it.. and 30 is the other side of the motor.. this side of the motor is now grounded.  

this is a standard reversing 2 wire relay logic wiring...

now.. do you see the diodes and the alarm box in the lower left.. the diodes prevent any current from going the other direction...  this allows the alarm system to control your relay set up...