Trailer Connector Corrosion Cleaning?

Started by Arnold, June 10, 2013, 12:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Someone says their trailer lights are not working,and the connector inside..both on the trailer and truck is corroded.This is a round type plug.
I say to spray some "contact cleaner" on it..try it..until I can look at it.
 They spray it..fixed. My kind of repair:D  I look at it..pretty green,corroded..

What will clean this up best before I put the di-electric to it?

phat46

I have used a dental pick and lots of patience.

wayne petty

if its a commercial style.. there are brushes available to clean up the female terminals..

i would not use DI Electric tune up grease on the connector..

if you want to use something.. perhaps the package of bulb grease...

or some white lithium..  lubriplate.. or other brands.

you will want to take the socket out and clean where the wires are connected to the back of the socket also..

the smallest piece.. in this kit is 1/4" diameter...

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-tube-brush-kit-95947.html

might have to trim the end off to get it far enough down inside...

do store them in a section of ABS or PCV pipe with caps on the ends.. as they get into EVERYTHING..  2.5" x 12" with caps is perfect..  i have to keep replacing mine.. as they get into the shop rags and fill the wires..

i keep thinking of how mom used to clean a brass item.. using lemon juice and salt.. thats probably a really BAD idea for a trailer light connector..  it probably gets enough salt as it is..

you might on the wire side.. want to pack it with some RTV.. or white lithium grease so road splash won't get into the back..

Arnold

Quote from: "wayne petty"if its a commercial style.. there are brushes available to clean up the female terminals..

i would not use DI Electric tune up grease on the connector..

if you want to use something.. perhaps the package of bulb grease...

or some white lithium..  lubriplate.. or other brands.

you will want to take the socket out and clean where the wires are connected to the back of the socket also..

the smallest piece.. in this kit is 1/4" diameter...

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-tube-brush-kit-95947.html

might have to trim the end off to get it far enough down inside...

do store them in a section of ABS or PCV pipe with caps on the ends.. as they get into EVERYTHING..  2.5" x 12" with caps is perfect..  i have to keep replacing mine.. as they get into the shop rags and fill the wires..

i keep thinking of how mom used to clean a brass item.. using lemon juice and salt.. thats probably a really BAD idea for a trailer light connector..  it probably gets enough salt as it is..

you might on the wire side.. want to pack it with some RTV.. or white lithium grease so road splash won't get into the back..

Thanks guys..great info.

I had thought of cleaning them with baking soda..or some other type of spray cleaner.I don't know what one can spray in there? Vinegar mixture?
Gasket remover would probably melt the whole thing haha.Put in a spray bottle.Spray it right in there. Wait.Wash it out.Dry..maybe put something on it?
  I just read that on some of those connectors..they come apart really easily with a centre screw..and you just replace that part..not worth cleaning. I will have to look and see which kind they are.
  I've used the di-electric grease that is good for other stuff too..
on connections..and not had any problems..yet. I dunno..leaving them dry..sprayed with WD40 every now and again. Dry can't attract junk like a grease can.
 I often wonder what the different stuff is that different manufacturers
use on their connectors in various spots. I have pulled off so many connectors and found white,gray and an orange type color. The orange stuff I have found a lot of seems like plumbers grease.

I dunno..they sprayed it with the cleaner..let it sit for a few days..
I sprayed it again and we just hooked it up..we took turns wiggling the connector..all combinations seem 100%. A couple of those connectors had that greenish corrosion on them..they did not seem rotted either.

I can't see a spray can fix :shock: . Time for a looksee around grounds,wiring etc.

I dunno..lemon juice and salt. It'd sure work quick..wash it off.
I dunno if it would etch or not. Probablly what some of these cleaners have in them :lol: