NSRA membership?

Started by 416Ford, June 06, 2013, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Hello everyone.
As a young guy(according to Phatrat) is it worth my money to join the NSRA? I love the shows that I have been to but the amount of money to show my car at one event is quite a bit.
I can give my congressman a call any time I need to and at this point have never done it. I am concerned with the EPA regulation also but do not see the NSRA doing anything here in Michigan.
Do not want to start an argument on my second post. I am looking for info from others who can enlighten me.
Thanks Dave.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

NSRA is not a political organization. To be honest it's just a business that puts on shows. I am a long time member, mostly to go to the shows they put on.  Do I think it's worth the money, overall yes. Particularly if you go to more than one of their shows a year.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Heh, heh, I'm lifetime NSRA member #1228 so I've gotten more than my moneys worth.

I've never considered NSRA to have anything to do with politics other than maybe allowing late model vehicles into the shows.

Charlie Chops 1940

I've been a member (3229) since '72, probably should have bought a lifetime membership, but it has been a lifetime anyway. As a member I believe the entry fees are very reasonable. As a member you get a very newsy and professionally put together magazine.

I was a young guy when the NSRA came along and I came to meet and regard as friends many of the people who made it work  as it has. Likewise I met hundreds, if not thousands, of new car friends before the web was ever even thought of.

It is, however, what you make of it. Give it an honest trial for a year and report back.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

57larry

I like the NSRA. my son worked for Streetscene about 10-12 yrs ago. I met everybody and went to their shops thru him

416Ford

I love the shows and have meet a few of you at the Kzoo show over the years.
I don't mean to call the NSRA a political group, I just read it on there web page that they try and help out with our rights to drive the gas guzzlers that we own.
I always wanted to bring my car to the show and my buddy has a 66 so he can now bring his car also. We were just wondering if there is anything else that make someone say HELL YES you need to join other then being able to show your car.
I am going to do it this year(weather permitting) just because it been a wish of mine. Next year may be the questionable one.

I am going to park mine next to Jacks at least to take a picture. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

I am a Charter Member in NSRA ..# 683...  All the above info is correct ...
As Charlie said .. You get a professional monthly magazine as part of the deal ... One thing about the Mag ... You will NEVER see any advertising other than car related items ... No smokes ...No pimple cream .. nothing other than car related ... It's been that way since the beginning ... It is also a neat way to meet new people ... Just like the RRT tolerates me every year at the Zoo.... :lol:

Oops ...almost forgot ....Welcome to the RRT .... 8)

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Dave, I'm a short time member only been one since 91. There are years that I never have the cpe at an NSRA show but I still support them with my membership. Been 2 maybe 3 years since I've had the cpe to Kazoo. In fact I think the last time was the year of the flooding and the tornado alert. I never miss Kazoo but most of the time I'm selling in the swap.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carps

I've been a member since '81 and even tho I only get to the US every now and then, I rank it as excellent value for money.

The enjoyment from the few events I do manage to attend is fantastic, the friendships I've made as a result, are simply priceless.

Even when I can't get to the US, they keep me up to date and included, by sending me a monthly journal that's different to all the others and filled to the brim with great stuff you can't get anywhere else.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

n.c.rodder

Dave,
I have a little different perspective on this seeing that I work (volunteer) for the NSRA. I joined in 89, got on the Safety Team in 92, became an Advisor in 2000, & was promoted to Northern Michigan State Rep in 2006. Plan and simple the goal of the NSRA is to provide first class events for every one to enjoy. Not everyone is going to jump in with both feet like I did, but its all in what you make of it. Sure entry into an NSRA show is higher than your local show, but they don't give away over $73,000 in merchandise at EVERY show either. Plus if you go to the Nationals, you have a chance to win a turn key Street Rod, can't complain about that! Some of my closest friends I've met through the NSRA, its like family now. The cars may have brought us together originally, but its the friendships that bring us back year after year.

Like charlie said, try it for a year and you be the judge.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Carps

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"...... Some of my closest friends I've met through the NSRA, its like family now. The cars may have brought us together originally, but its the friendships that bring us back year after year.
Yup, that's what it's all about for sure and it's not just limited to your own back yard, it's global!

I'll be working at registration Wed & Thursday this year, be sure to stop and say,  "gudday".  I'm not easy to miss.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

416Ford

Thanks for your prospective Mike.
I love the NSRA and the people I have meet at the shows also. The unfortunate part for me is the limited use I will get out of it.
I will try it this year and I'll see what I think of it next year.
Jack, if you don't bring the car to Kzoo then I'll have to head out to Muskegon when your in town.

Now back to the Garage.
Thanks

Topsterguy

I joined the NSRA this year only because we're going to 2 shows, Pueblo CO and Richland WA and the savings on reg made it worthwhile. Otherwise I wouldn't join because they charge Canadians an extra $15 us above what they charge Americans for some reason. Apparently they say it's because it costs more to send Streetscene up here but that's hard to believe because they're all sent to Ontario in a shipment then sent out from there.  I don't agree with their year cutoff either, at 1983 ( I think) it's even worse than Greedyguys.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

416Ford

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I've been a member (3229) since '72, probably should have bought a lifetime membership, but it has been a lifetime anyway. As a member I believe the entry fees are very reasonable. As a member you get a very newsy and professionally put together magazine.

I was a young guy when the NSRA came along and I came to meet and regard as friends many of the people who made it work  as it has. Likewise I met hundreds, if not thousands, of new car friends before the web was ever even thought of.

It is, however, what you make of it. Give it an honest trial for a year and report back.

Charlie

Reporting back.

Did not see you or the new car in Kzoo this last year Charlie.

I am getting ready to send in my entry form for Kzoo this year and my wife asked me about my membership. My membership expires 8-14, will my entry form add another year to my date or will it start when they get the money?
I am assuming that it will add another year and that is why they ask for our member #.

Thanks Dave

Charlie Chops 1940

Send the entry form in now with your current membership number. NSRA will send you a membership renewal a month or two before your expiration date. Renew it as soon as you get it and you should have your new card in plenty of time for Nats North.

I didn't make it with the '40 coupe as it needed a suspension redo on the front, which has turned into a lot of other things. Should be out this sumer though.

I went to Kzoo for parts on Friday and Saturday. Had a good time.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!