Transmission insights

Started by Anonymous, August 26, 2004, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I re-regisitered in a different name so i can post some photos

Hopefully the photo appears.

It is a shift arm from a t-350. the customer complained of problems with shifting the tranny, the tranny did not stay in gear correctly..... blah , blah , blah

In the photo you can see the crap for a shift arm and the garbage welding of the arm to the shifter shaft. The welded parts are loose!  Not really welded.... LOL

this type of fabrication work will NOT function correctly.

Tony

aka Crosley

unklian

Is that some of Blue Bear's work ?   :roll:

Bruce Dorsi

It is DEPRESSING to see that level of workmanSHYT !!!

If that is the best that someone could do, they shouldn't be near a welder!  
....Then again, maybe they should attach the ground clamp to their toe, and the electrode holder to their tongue.

It HURTS just to look at that pic!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

nomobux

Not near as bad as the steering shaft I saw on a rod once. Butt welded with a glob of bird sh.. & re-inforced with about a 2" piece of angle iron tacked on with equally good welds. Hey Croz  .. Long as I'm here ... onna 700r4. which fitting on the trans case is hot oil out and which is cool oil in ? Upper / lower fittings.
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

Dirk35

How ironic nomobux!

That doesnt look too much different than the welding done on one of the 48 F-1s I got as a parts truck. His steering shaft was also butt welded like said in the post above. But with out the angle iron reinforcemnt. the frame, however was also butt welded where they shortened it, but they did use angle iron reinforcment!

Tony, also not trying to hijack the thread, but do ALL C-4 Transmissions require that thin spacer plate between the block and the bell-housing?

Anonymous

QuoteTony, also not trying to hijack the thread, but do ALL C-4 Transmissions require that thin spacer plate between the block and the bell-housing?

==== yes

QuoteLong as I'm here ... onna 700r4. which fitting on the trans case is hot oil out and which is cool oil in ? Upper / lower fittings.

bottom - out from the converter

nomobux

:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

TJ's Dad

:roll: G'day ... i've always paid or got mates to do my welding cos i'm not too flash at it ... but after viewing that ... i reckon i might start a welding school !!  :idea:  :idea:
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Leon

Tony - I look forward to your posts because I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has people bring garbage to.  The scary part is this level of workmanship (?) is on the road with us! :shock:

Leon

Quote from: "Tony in AZ"
QuoteTony, also not trying to hijack the thread, but do ALL C-4 Transmissions require that thin spacer plate between the block and the bell-housing?

==== yes

I answered that same question on a different post - I like your answer better :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Leon"
Quote from: "Tony in AZ"

==== yes

I answered that same question on a different post - I like your answer better :lol:

============ the plate helps a bit with starter alignment too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Leon"Tony - I look forward to your posts because I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has people bring garbage to.  The scary part is this level of workmanship (?) is on the road with us! :shock:

==== the t-350 has internal detents to keep the tranny in one gear at a time.  

A second problem was the custom shifter of unknown vintage/OE application was "modified to work" with the t-350.  It didn't, it was fighting the t-350's internal detent setup.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I hope I do not bore all of you folks here.  I try to point out simple stuff that can ruin your day and wound the wallet.

In the posted photo is a pan of an E4OD Ford tranny. This is a big dog of a tranny for light trucks 3/4 & 1 ton type with diesel motors.  Also used in the Lighting trucks.......

The pan is / was caved in by the DIY owner as he installed the tranny with a jack against the pan.

The trouble is this area is where the tranny filter opening pulls fluid into the pump from this lower sump area of the pan.  This caved in section closed off that filter opening since the pan was pushed against the filter opening!  The tranny burned up and the owner expects us to warranty the unit.

I have never understood why the DIY person would NEVER damage the bottom of an engine pan....... cave in the tranny pan ? " heck that don't matter"     :lol:
Tony

Dirk35

Ya Leon, I know your both very knowledgable, so I asked both of ya, not knowing which would check in, or might miss the post as sometimes happens.

So, Either of you happen to have the spacer for the smaller bell-housing laying around that you could part with? I FINALLY got a hold of a smaller bell housing, but no spacer plate. I think itll look hacked up if I try to modify the one I got to work

Leon

I was just enjoying Tony's response to the question :lol:

I don't have any spare small plates, I may have a large one but that won't do you any good.  I'll look tomorrow in the shop to see what I have.